Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This Sucks!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LarryJ, Jul 14, 2002.

1. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    ..If it's true-
    Wanted to see if anyone on the board heard or knew more-
    Has the LA Bass Exchange closed? (OOB)?
    Tried calling w/ no answer this week, another shop said they were gone-
    If so- what a shame- I can't say how cool it was to live 3 miles from a dedicated top-end only Bass shop where the owner & staff were the best!
    They recently had Marcus Miller play there (missed that one!) as well as Willis, Manring, Laboriel, Bailey,
    etc. etc. for FREE!Not to mention the incredible basses, amps, speakers- You had to see it to believe it!
    Damn! If this is true, I wish Long the best in the future-
    Anybody know any more?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Shoot, Larry, you can't be more than ten minutes away from them. Why don't you do a drive-by and report back to us here?

In fact, why don't you do that today (Sunday)? It'll get you out of going to church.

3. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Munji- I was IN LABX just last week-
    Long was not in there,they said he was in Europe- store was out of the Thomastik's I use, & both Justin & Dave were there, but are emplyed as reps for MTD & Aguilar respectively. Paul, the most recent sales employee was not there- I got a weird vibe, but didn't assume anything. I did drive by the other day, and the store was dark-After several unanswered calls, followed by the "rumor' told me by another store, I posted here.
    JMX- I looked for other posts, but saw nothing-Thanks for trhe link-
    Well, I guess it's true-
    Pretty sudden, but I guess that's the way things happen in business sometimes, without time to
    "prepare".
    Irregardless of any other issues- prices or whatever, it is a sad fact for us all in that a dedicated store like this can't make it in LA- despite what one's opinion of LA may be, this is a real haven for musicians- Besides, the alternatives are pretty dismal- Guitar Center, Sam Ash, etc.
    This does SUCK!

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I drove all the way to LA one day to check that shop out, and they were closed.:(

5. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Jeff ~

You drove there one day ... from TEXAS?

6. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    LABX was open Tues-Sat for as long as I frequented it-Too bad you missed out-shoulda stayed the night!
    As anyone who was there knows, they had an awesome array of instruments and their benchmark sound room was.....well, benchmark!
    They NEVER tried to push any gear on you- they would explain options, functions, etc, but never
    tried to "close" a sale-
    I wonder if it was the economy, or the cash-flow
    situation, or just not enough of a customer base.
    There were times when they seemed to be very busy- I guess there is a lot involved in maintaining an inventory of high-end, high $$ gear.
    Too bad! They stocked the right strings for me, (now I gotta buy them online, 'cause NONE of the stores here stock TI jazz rounds, which says it ALL!))and it was always great to hang there and play around with killer instruments.
    Yeh, this sucks!

7. embellisher

Yeah, it took a while. I did see a relative in Moreno Valley and go to Disneyland while I was in the area.

8. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    My company has an office in Temecula, gateway to Moreno Valley (about an hour from my house). We coulda had lunch!

9. embellisher

Next time I am in the area I will let you know. I may be back next spring or summer.

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Ever heard of the, uh...telephone?! :confused: ;)

11. I live right down the street from disneyland, we coulda had lunch! Of course it would have just been a ham and cheese sandwhich. You would need to supply the ham, bread, and cheese. And some mayo if ur not stingy!

12. embellisher

I probably should have called first.

13. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Yeah.