This thread is slightly different. Basses under 600!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brendan, Dec 25, 2001.

1. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yep yep. I got loaded with about 500 over the christmas day, and dipping into the bank a bit, I can wing pretty much anything right around 600, give or take about 50 bucks (I'm topping out at about 600, but I'd like to stay around 500). I'm hyper paranoid about money, so I'd like to buy new, so any odd shortcomings can fall under either manufacterer or store warantee. And the other bass (Abuse bass, which is cast OUT!) seriously needs to leave, so I'm bringing in a bigger and better bass.

So! Let the games begin.
    4 or 5 (fretted)
    Wide string spacing
    Thin neck
    Good construction (there WILL be a B string on the bass)
    Punch and/or Cuts through

I'm just looking for a workhorse. Something I can use for a while. I don't want a "specific" sounding bass. Not a "funk" bass or a "modern" bass. Just a bass that get it's job done.
    I've had my eye on a Cort Curbow 4, but, I'm also dealing with about 200 more, which is all the difference. I might have to slide on up to Bass Central, and try out the MTDs...or something, I don't know.

What would you guys say? Oh, and sorry, no Fenders. That's just about my only limitation. Thanks!
  2. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    it's a shame you said no Fenders... I would check out a Geddy Lee if I were you, which I'm not... Maybe a Kingston? I haven't played one, but I have investigated them, or maybe an Ibanez BTB? I still think you might surprised with a Geddy Lee.....

3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Sorry man...I tried to like em...I really did, me and Fenders...we have a standing agreement. They stay out of my hands, and I don't beat them senseless.

Oh, it might help you helpers out there to know that it's gonna be tunded about CGCF if it'a a 4 and CGCF(What would the 5 string equivalent of that be? I never gave it a thought...) So I'll need some tension in those strings, even when downtuned.
  4. Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001
    within a few Bucks of the price you stated, on either end, tou can get a MTD Kingston, Spector NS-2000 Q4 or 5, Alvarez, ESP 304 or 5, Schecter Diamond series, Ibanez SR 485, Yamaha RBX, A couple of different Carvins, and one of my favorites, the Squier 5. I also think you might be able to get a DeArmond pilot in that price range, or if you go to, You can get a Toby jr.

I hope this helps.

5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Or...urg...possibly a new cab? (Just now considered it)....

GAS, combined with just plain ol' to many options, choices, and decsions is going to melt my brain!
  6. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    An MTD Kingston 5 (I paid $424 for mine) or an Ibanez BTB-405QM that is currently repriced for the holidays [at a music store in my hometown] at $479, case extra.
  7. The Schecter is cheaper than the Kingston or the Ibanez, and both made in the same country(I think) Korea, although I'm pretty sure different manufacturer. Same quality(IMO) and almost half the price, save the other $250 towards a new cab or something, lots of blow out/end of year sale at most music stores or ebay.
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX you by ANY chance want a Schecter bass? Just wondering. :D
  9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Brendan, you owe it to yourself to check out the MTD Kingston 5. It is better than any of the 5's mentioned in this thread, and easily falls within your price range.
  11. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Amen- Jeff- the Lakland Skyline is pretty sweet , too- RyKnoz- check YOUR pm!!- peace, Adrian
  12. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX my quest to burn money...I'm trekking up to Bass Central...have Gard take my money...and I think I'll put some serious attention on a MTD Kingston 4 (I like the BEAD tuning) or 5...truth be told, I'm worried about the one MM style pup...But, hey! We'll see.