Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This velvet glove playing technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ringworm4005, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Hey All,
    Recently I was listening to Californication by the RHCP, and I noticed that on track nr. 11 (This Velvet Glove) that flea uses a slap/pop technique I've never heard before. It sounds like he pops and then almost immediately slaps the note an octave lower. Does anybody have any information on this technique?

Peace

2. Its just speed, like on "Around the World" he goes from 3 fret on the E string to the 12th fret on the G string. No special technique there other than speed.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I think also his tone has a big part to do with the coolness of his slap riff on that song. It's mellow and not in your face, but he's poundin' on it pretty hard. Very tasteful tone... I notice he has similar tone in "Can't stop." I like Flea's new slap riffs as opposed to his old ones. His old ones were just "Look how fast I am." He's more concerned with melody now... but this goes for all of his basslines in contrast old vs. new.

4. Amethska

Amethska

Jan 27, 2003
    NJ, USA
    Ah, whenever I hear "Can't Stop" on the radio, I turn the bass way up and the volume up a good amount, too. I love Flea's bass lines, especially in that song! I think my family thinks I'm crazy, freaking out whenever I hear an RHCP song on the radio. :p

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Maybe's he's actually wearing a velvet glove for that one? :D

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've never heard either song, but how do you know that and if we are talking about an octave below, then wouldn't that be 12th fret on the G to 10th fret on the A? Or just the open G string - even easier!!

If we are talking about 2 octaves down from high G - then he could be playing a 5-string and going down to 8th fret B - not that hard?

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

It's a two octave thing on a four string bass. I don't think he goes up the whole two octaves in that song, I think he jumps from the 3rd fret to the 10th for most of the song... I dunno. I haven't played or listened to that in a while.

8. Two Proofs:
    Ive seen RHCP In concert about 2 years ago, and saw flea play the song, He Went from the 3rd fret on the E to 12th on the G string, He didnt have a 5 stringer, If I remember correctly he was using a Musicman, He hadnt gone to the modulus yet.

And second, In the studio he used a 4 string, forgot which brand but it was a 4 string, And it was Two octaves down from the 12th fret G.

9. I know what ur talkin about and I saw on the Fenders Players Club website (which u can get to through fenders website) they have an interview from a long time ago with Flea and he shows how he does it, its so ****ing amazing I cant believe how fast he goes, his hands r like a ****ing blur.:bassist:

10. Ahh have to correct myself, He goes from 3rd fret on the E string to 10th on the G, not 12th. Not much of a difference but still, I wanted to note it.

11. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    :bassist:

12. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    What's a whole note between friends?:D

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

This is what I was saying.

14. Yea, I read ur post more carefully, saw my mistake and posted it. So thank you StupidMatt for fixing the problem.

15. Really now.. it's really not that special to do this. You just need to practice. Flea is really not that great, but he ain't shabby either. He has a huge lot of experience, both live and in the studio, which makes a whole lot of difference. In the end, it's all about having a lot of tattoos and a mad grin :D

16. Well It was hard 2 years ago, But I tried to play it again the other day and it really wasnt that hard, Its just some of his fills are a little tough, but nowhere near as hard as they were 2 years ago:D