1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

This video makes me want a Mustang.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rush-2112, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
    Fender, not Ford. :p

This is Japanese rock band Tokyo Jihen. The bassist Seiji Kameda is using a Fender Mustang (not sure what year, etc.). But just listen to that tone he's getting! I've played a Mustang at my music school before, but never got such a great sound like this. If set up right, is this really the sound one would get from a Mustang? I guess I've been doing it wrong...

Has anyone else played a Mustang and gotten such a tone? Feel free to also mention other basses with similar tone.

2. iplaybasstexas

iplaybasstexas

Apr 5, 2008
    DFW
    woah, that tone is amazing! someone find out his rig!!!

EDIT: saw it in the vid....looks like an Ampeg CL with an ampeg 410? (1:16-1:17)

of course,with that style, it could be a CL, V4BH, SVT350, geez..

3. Well, I've only everp layed one, a new one at Guitar Center.

Ugly finishes, and nasty tort guards, but I love them.

Part of it is the realtion to the car in name and year of release, part of it is Fender, and part of it is that it's a nice bass.
    Shortscale is always nice for a change form a full scale Precision. This is why I also want a Bronco bass. Cheaper, much cheaper.

But I still want the car more.
    :D

4. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    This video by them makes me want to watch the beginning several more times.

5. iplaybasstexas

iplaybasstexas

Apr 5, 2008
    DFW
    i kinda wanna try that...would it balance well? doesn't look like the knobs get in his way either...

6. a thread about Tokyo Jihen/Kameda Seiji came up before - check it out here

7. Alienation

Alienation

Jul 29, 2008
    Midsouth
    I have 2 Mustangs, one defretted with tapewounds and a fretted one with roundwounds. Both are keepers. I would say it's the rig that gives it the umphhh but the tone comes from da 'stang. :bassist:

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Me, too. Great tone, and love that vid. Shiina rules and her band is amazing. The choreographer, director, and dance cast did an amazing and artistic job. I love it. :cool:

9. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I've seen a bunch of their videos. I dunno...I seriously doubt he recorded that song with the Mustang, even though whatever he used has a really cool tone and all. But if you watch their other videos, he plays vintage Jazzes and Precisions, I think the Mustang was just a image prop. I dig his Jazz tone!

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1 No disrespect to the band or the tone, but the instruments you see in a music video are commonly just what the art director wants them to be, for looks. Rarely a connection with the tone of the instrument used in the actual album recording.

11. PapaJustice

PapaJustice

Dec 28, 2007
    Boston
    +1

I doubt he did that on a Mustang.

12. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If the lead vocal was dropped a full octave in pitch I'd be super way into this tune, and probably buy their CD. I don't think I could handle her voice as-is, though. :p

13. grrg63

grrg63

Dec 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    I've owned J's, P's and Mustangs, it would be easy to get that tone with a Mustang.

14. Is this Deja vue? I think I've been in this thread before...Do you like the bass or the hot girl dancers?

15. I'm almost certain that a Precision through an SVT was used for OSCA, as well as quite a few tracks on the album it is featured, Variety. Seiji is typically seen playing either a Jazz or Precision style instrument live. There is one video that I recall (遭難 or "sounan") in which he uses a Rickenbacker.

One last thing to keep in mind, apart from being the bassist for Tokyo Jihen, Kameda Seiji is a well-regarded producer. He knows his stuff.

16. +1. I can't get past that voice, but I could easily listen to the rest of the band.

17. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1

True. Likely it is not the Mustang we are hearing. :cool:

18. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    +1

Check out some of her other work--I think there was a link above. It is clear that what she is doing in OSCA is "high concept" not just high voice. This is a mannered performance for effect. What effect? Dig the bullhorn! :p

PS. Here it is:

19. My mustang is my main bass (I have small hands) and I can get something close to that tone, it packs alot of power. He might be using something else with it or it could be his amp.

20. ?? I am not sure I understand. Shiina sings all of her songs in a fairly similar manner.