1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

This was an interesting lefty bassist

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrianToska, Oct 2, 2013.

1. BrianToska

BrianToska

Jan 14, 2013
    Houston, TX
    The other night I went to a local venue to see some of the local bands that I'm friends with. There was a new school metal-ish (I hate these genres these days) band there called IORI. The bass player played a Schecter Stiletto. The interesting part was that it was a right handed bass that he played left handed. But he didn't switch the strings around. He played with his thumb resting on the G, so the B was further away from him. This is the first time I've seen anyone play this way. Has anyone else seen this? ImageUploadedByTalkBass1380734122.731924.

2. Bassplayer (Gerald Johnson) for the Steve Miller Band did it as well:

3. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe

Mar 11, 2013
    Kent, United Kingdom
    Not that unusual.

Someone I knew a few years ago was left handed and could happily play either way. The lack of other lefties meant that when he borrowed guitars from friends, he could still play them. He was 'better' left-handed on a left-handed guitar but definitely more than competent the other way. It's just a case of practice and sometimes necessity.

If I were left-handed, I'd probably be doing exactly the same thing. Buying left-handed instruments is a pain. Or taking the Robert Fripp approach and learning to play right-handed.

4. I've also seen proper lefty guitars and basses modified to have the strings like an upside down righty. At least on bass, I can't really see any disadvantage to this while playing, so it becomes a question of modifying every bass you buy vs. relearning to play in a different way. I can easily see myself filing new nuts in the same situation.

5. noiseguy

noiseguy

Apr 1, 2013
    Funny. All I can see is a guy wearing a pink skirt.

6. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    I've seen that before.
    A few times, actually...

7. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    seck-see!!!;)

8. lowendmafia

lowendmafia Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    Pink is the best skirt color for metal...

9. I found playing barefoot notable.
    Who knows what crap is on a stage floor, or what a good ground path it provides for a human on the wrong side of bar wiring.

10. jaxom

jaxom

Aug 31, 2008
    New Castle, PA
    I played with a guitar player who did the same thing. He was the band leader and wrote all the songs. It took awhile to get used to the way he would hold his chords..

11. Jimmy Haslip (Yellowjackets from foundation until last year, afaik)

12. nurnay

nurnay

Aug 21, 2010
    Chico, CA
    I've seen a couple guys play that way. I guess it's whatever you started on and got used to. I certainly couldn't play that way.

13. Jeff Schmidt plays a lefty strung in that fashion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. makaspar

makaspar Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Austin, TX
  15. lowendmafia

lowendmafia Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    Is it just me or was Jeff Schmidt in the movie Super Troopers?

16. nurnay

nurnay

Aug 21, 2010
    Chico, CA
    I was racking my brain trying to think of him, good one! And I miss the dude, great basketball and bass player.

17. BrianToska

BrianToska

Jan 14, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Wow I guess it's not as uncommon as I thought. It was just my first time seeing it! I kind of have half a mind to borrow my friends lefty and try to play it right handed...

18. I saw a bassist on youtube do it with a Hofner Icon.

And the bassist for Herman's Hermits (in 1966) played a righty thunderbird left handed, but I couldn't see if it was strung right or left.

19. Greta Brinkman...playing here with Moby

20. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    Playing the bass that way is interesting, but dressing that way is just plain weird.