Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This was little too close to home....literally

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassturtle, Jul 22, 2004.

1. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/885791.html

This is happening about 2 blocks away from my store. I sent one of the guitar teachers here down there to find out what was going on. They said that they tried to pull the boat to the edge of the creek before they hit a small, but powerful waterfall, but only one of the guys got out. The other one got swept away with the boat.

They think he's trapped under the strong push of the waterfall at the bottom of creek. That's where the boat popped up from about an hour and a half after they went under. They sent a diver in to look for him, but they almost lost the diver too. They had to pull him early. The diver ended up leaving the scene in an ambulance. At this point they're just tossing in hooks trying to fish his body out.

If you watch the news video you can see that the water level doesn't seem that deep. At the time of the accident it was about 6-8' deeper because of heavy rains this morning.

It's amazing how fast something like this can happen. It really hits home in a small community like this.

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Over the last few years in Melbourne Australia there have been a number of organised crime related hits (24 to be exact). They are almost all done publically and have received a lot of press in Australia.

Anyway, I used to live in Melbourne and the very first hit occured literally 1 street away from our house when I lived there. The guy was at home with his bodyguard when his bodyguard decided to go out and get some cigarettes, when he came back he found the body of the guy in the laundry of his house with two shots in the head.

Also a little too close to home ;)

(That said none of these crime hits have resulted in anyone being hurt other than the intended targets, so im not sure if people are really that worried for their safety in Melbourne)

3. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Water is amazingly powerful.

4. Yes it is. I know some water boxing (not what you would think and I don't need to explain it doesn't matter. PM me if you really want to know.)

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Stock up on violin cases; buisness will be booming.

6. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    They just called off the search efforts about an hour ago. Talk with some of the people who were down there all day helping and most of them don't want to leave tonight. They are actually leaving cops down there to keep an eye on the area to see if he will surface, but also to make sure people in the community don't try to take matters into their own hands over night. It's just really unsafe, especially at night.

It's kind of surreal to know that there is an unfound dead body 2 blocks from my business.

7. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I don't get it.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That's because I was an ass, and skimmed, without actually reading the entire post, and following posts.

Nothing to see here, move along, people.

9. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I believe he was talking about Mark's mafia story.

10. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    About 8 months after we moved here, my wife was doing a school run and found about 30 people standing in a semi circle at the side of the road, about 400 feet from our house. They had laid flowers and it was clear there was a rememberence service for someone who had died there. The next, one of my kids friends said there was an assasination there a number of years ago.

My wife did a google search for Coppet (our village) and the word assassination. This is an excerpt from one of the results:

............................................................................
    Justice for Professor Kazem Radjavi
    1. On 24 April 1990, Professor Kazem Radjavi, representative of the Iranian Resistance to the Commission on Human Rights, was assassinated by a terrorist commando group at Coppet, near Geneva. The judicial investigation conducted by the competent Swiss services enabled Mr. Roland Châtelain, examining magistrate in charge of the case, to confirm in a communiqué of 22 June 1990 that "the 13 persons implicated" in that assassination "were all issued with official Iranian passports stamped 'chargé de mission'". The communiqué stated that "the police officers in charge of the investigation have collected evidence of various kinds to support the conclusion that one or more Iranian official services are directly involved in the assassination of Mr. Kazem Radjavi".
    ......................................................................................

11. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Few years ago some guy robbed like 5 banks in 1 hour then tried running from cops... his car broke down near my house (my street's intersection with big street near me) so he shot himself...

On a sadder note, my car got broken into, AGAIN!!! It was on my driveway this time... they already stole the damn radio year ago, what else did they want to take? all locks are broke and ignition is gone... if I catch them I will simply lock them inside the car, turn on nsync and watch them safacate... THat’s 3rd brake-in in last year... and unlike last time, they didn’t even leave me any beer:( No beer makes serg sad:(

They did when they took my $400 stereo and destroyed everything inside, they left me some beer... Such a nice criminals :D

12. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    For anyone who cares, they finally found the kids body.

13. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Well thats good. Kind of.

14. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004

Yeah, it's good for his family and the community to have some closure, but it still sucks.