This was waiting for me on the back porch today

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GreyBeard, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Not quite as nice as the US models but at $600 used and in mint condition I'm real happy. It plays and sounds great. I'll know more tomorrow night at practice, but , the real test will be week after next on the job. So far I love it.:D
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Nice price. Congrats!!!!!!
  3. Darn I have to get me a porch!
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Sheesh man! Nice! Where'd you score that price? Private party or business?

brad cook
  5. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    please excuse my ignorance, G&L? MM?
  6. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
  7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Well Bizzaro, all I know is your avatar is awesome.
  8. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Hey yours ain't bad either, um, what are ya doing after the show.

Lakland. Sweet.
  9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

$600?!?!?! That's practically theft!!!!

Forget what it looks like. The 55-02 is about the meanest, nastiest, (in a good way), bass I have ever owned!!! Make sure your dip switches for the mids are where you like `em.

Tell your guitarist and any joker with a Ray to take a seat. Mine sounds absoutely cruel!
  10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  11. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

i guess this just shows how different peoples ears are. all the laklands i've played have sounded positively polite to me. nice and smooth, good R&B sound - something i could see pairing up with some edens and backing up a soul group with or somethin, but nothing i could really dig into and get growly or get any kind of sharp attack with. of course, this was with flat EQ and full blend, but if a bass doesnt' do it for me there it won't do it for me....

but again, this just shows how different our ears are. playing warwicks for so long makes me hear stuff a certain way i guess. but that bass is certainly a beauty and all the ones i've played have left me with no complaints. $600 is a steal too! congrats!
  12. sizz

Sep 23, 2002
    Bella Vista, AR
    WOW... that IS a deal! I payed more for my 55-01 than you did for your 55-02... DOH! :eek:

These are great basses... ENJOY!
  13. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    cool bass cool deal... how's it weigh? I played a 5501 next to a Chi-town lakie back a few months ago and the 5501 was HEFTY... the 55-94 was light as a feather...

and Brad, with your permission I think I just found my avatar....

you shore got a purty moutf...

FYI... I used to whitewater conoe alot... and it was REQUIRED that when we took a newbie we would watch delieverance begining to end before we left...

oh what a sick and guilty pleasure....
  14. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Great bass, great price.

I'd agree. The 55-94/55-02 with Barts is smooth and thick IMO. I love mine since that's *my* ideal sound. And I do run an Eden head too.
  15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Warwick - It could have a lot to do with the fact that mine is hard ash with a maple fretboard and strung with SS roundwounds from DR. That's a very nasty combo (again "in a good way.")

The downside is that after I started using it, one of our guitarists started turning up his Soldano's volume even when he was using his `58 Les Paul :rolleyes:
  16. I got it from an individual I had just sold a mint Roscoe Beck to for $700. He wasn't playing the Lakland ( he has an F bass as well as the Roscoe Beck ) so I'm sure he felt that one good turn deserves another.
  17. I've been playing a SR5 with poplar body. It weighs somewhere between 10 lbs and a ton. So the Lakland feels like a feather. It is every bit as light as the US model I played in Pittsburg about a month ago. It also plays and sounds everybit as good as the US model I played.
  18. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Nice score. There is no justice in this world! Quite a bit different from your SR5 eh?
  19. I agree, with all the controls at mid the bass has a real smooth and polite "Bartolinish" sound. But considering the fact that my band plays oldies, Motown, and Beach I think the basses natural sound will probably fit our music a little better than my SR5. I've been playing around with the pickup switch/pan and came up with some interesting results. With the bridg pup selected and both coils engaged you get a sudo SR5 PARALLEL tone. With the bridge coil of the bridge pup only selected you get a sudo SR5 single coil tone. With the neck side coil of the bridge pup only selected, you get a real cool tone kinda like an SR5 set in series. With the neck only pup selected and the treble turned down 75% and the bass turned down 25% I got as close to a P Bass tone on a 5 string as I've ever heard. With both the neck pickup and the bridge pup set to bridge side single coil and the neck pickup selected I got a pretty convincing Jazz bass tone. Roll to the bridge pup a little and that classic growl is there. This bass is a real tone MOSTER!!:D