This weather... oy!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Don't know what the weather is like elsewhere these days (don't watch the newz much), but here in NY it's suddenly become fairly hot and humid. My bass necks seem to be bending before my my very eyes. For some reason I'm having a rough time getting the necks adjusted. I readjusted my bass on Saturday - it was fine for 2 days, and last night the strings were practically laying on the fret board.

Anyone else experience this hassle, AND are there any possible solutions or do I just have to carry my allen wrenches around if the weather is all over the place????
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    you said it Joe!

I'm about an hour south of you at the Jersey Shore. I had to tweek my neck this morning too.

I just keep everything oiled and keep an allen key in the case ;)

They are saying high 90's today.... ***!?!
  3. here in Australia the temperatures vary a fair bit. I keep my bass in my room, its ba bit like a human, we like to live in a room temp of about 24 degrees C so if my bass is setup in that same environment, and kept at a fairly constant temperature, then fluctuations in my bass are minimal. There is a difference when i put it in the store room for a few days though.

4. downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    ugh, the pollen count is sooooo high here, and the weather was hot, my allergies are killing me, allegra semmed to stop working, and i forget to take benedryl enough for it to be effective.......ugh.....
  5. It's been horrible here too, although I have an extremely low humidity tolerance. It has been mid 80's or more, with intense sun, little breeze, and humid-as-he11 air for the past couple of days.

My E string is flopping like a b1tch right now. :rolleyes:

I have decided that I am definitely going to grad school in a NON-HUMID PLACE!!!!! It seems that the entire east coast is suffocatingly humid right now. I still remember a day 3 years a go in which Philadelphia, PA had a heat index of 124. No lie. I think 60 or 70 elderly people died. :mad:
  6. It's been colder than a witches upper extremities out here in Ca. Windy and cold. :( :mad:

I've had to tune my basses nearly every other day.
  7. All the cars in my area have suddenly turned green.
  8. monday - nice and sunny
    tuesday - rained a bit
    wednesday - sunny in the morning, rained in the afternoon, snow in the evening
    thursday - more snow
    friday (today) - really sunny and the snow is gone

.. i love the weather here :)
  9. Strangely enough, my FBB has had nary a problem, and I've rubbed the wax off a good third of the neck. Multilaminate construction and dense, stiff woods do have their uses.

Oh, and I have one thing to say: if the heat doesn't kill the elderly, I will.

10. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Well, that didn't last.

It's looking like "Blade Runner" out my window right now.
  11. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Yeah, Ive noticed it too. Luckily, my bass has just the right amount of neck relief now :cool: