Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This Week: It's Roxy Music

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Oct 11, 2005.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Yeah, I'm an old fossil...listening to fossilized vinyl, but they were great and the Bass Player's no slouch.

"Country Life" has something for everybody. Bass, guitar, keys, winds, strings...just awesome stuff.

You youngin's, if you've got the time, you'd like this stuff, it's real good. y'knowhaddymean there?

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    The thing that ticks me off about Roxy is that they, like the Doors, never had a permanent bassist, on the other hand, it opened them up to work with a lot of great players like John Wetton and Neil Jason.

Love is the Drug is one of the best basslines ever.

3. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Agreed!! :bassist:

4. P. Aaron

"Love is the Drug" hardly taps the great wealth of Roxy basslines that are smooth, slick, and added to the musical portfolio that many bassists enjoy referencing today.

Check out "From Out of the Blue" on Country Life for some mobile fingers and cool interludes.

One could go on...

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    ...then one should.

I haven't heard Country Life. It's just not been on the top of my list. I know mostly the early stuff with Eno and some of their 80s stuff (Flesh and Blood, Avalon and Heart Still Beating), So I know the beginning and the end, but not the middle.

Have you also heard Stranded and Manifesto? I know nothing about those records.

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I love Avalon!!! I don't think there is a wasted note on that album.......a clinic in note placement in songs. It's also a great " between the sheets" disc ;)

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Actually they did have a bassist when they started out...Graham Simpson who had played with Bryan Ferry in the R&B band Gas Board. He quit just before their first LP was recorded and they never replaced him.

John Gustafson of Quartermass was the guy they used for the longest period. He's the guy who played the killer lines on "Out of the Blue" and "Love is the Drug".

Wetton is only on a few cuts of the live LP "Viva Roxy Music".

8. P. Aaron

Stranded more so than Manifesto. And I would say Stranded...YEAH! (flipping through the LP right now!) "Mother of Pearl", "Amazona", and of course: "Street Life". All memorable, & nothing like you've heard anywhere else.

...With Roxy, one can try and pick the songs apart, but it was such a 'Band' thing. They don't walk on one another, and most recordings are chock full of good parts all around.

9. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I have always liked Both Ends Burning-- that one just does it for me. I also liked almost all of For Your Pleasure. Listening to that record, in particular, makes me feel just different somehow. You know what I mean?

10. P. Aaron

I feel *different* most days. But especially *different* on the days I play Roxy Music.

"Both Ends" is good. Lotsa Roxy is just plain great.

11. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    It's kind of like the "different" I feel when listening to the Velvet Underground. Not odd or anything like that, just different-- in a goodcoolgroovydon't****withme kind of way. ;)

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I always dug Alan Spenner's taste, groove and tone with Roxy Music and Joe Cocker before that. :bassist:

13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    "I blew up her body but she blew my mind"

14. I've got the "early years" comp- the best of the first 3 albums.

faves are "chance meeting" (nice walking line at the end), "song for europe" and "in every dream home a heartache".

a big influence on lots of late 70's bands eg. Ultravox , Simple Minds, Japan etc.

15. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO

+1 :D

16. P. Aaron

"Throw away lines...often return".

17. bassksun

bassksun Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    "are you flirting with heroin or is it cocaine?"

I've had Amazona and Casanova in continuously replay all week!

Gotta love that Gibson + Vox...at least that what I think the sound is.

This is soooo karmic...I'm a fossil originally from Detroit... :eek: