1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

This 'wick shurrrr is purrty, but so is this Ibby!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by songwriter21, Mar 31, 2015.

1. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    Thomas Kievit likes this.
  2. Ben Mifsud Joslin

Ben Mifsud Joslin

Jun 17, 2014
    Malta
    I had tried the same bass once. I'm pretty sure it was from the same year, too. Just what you'd expect from a Warwick- can go from very dark to rather bright. Good ergonomics. I'd go for it. The one I had tried was more expensive than this.

3. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    I'm a Ibanez guy, but in this cause, I'd go with the Warwick.

4. Blankandson

Blankandson Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Gallatin, Tennessee
    I play a 1994 Warwick 5-string. A fellow co-player in a Salsa band has a Ibby 5-string and he is always wanting to 'borrow' my wick. So he likes it more - occasionally. I've not played an Ibby but my wick has a huge deep growly sound with the wenge neck/fingerboard and swamp ash body. This one has the same neck but not the ash. I'd go with the wick and use the difference on something to go with it. The pups on the ibby do look interesting however.

5. Brother Goose

Brother Goose The Process IS the Reward! Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    That is a very tough decision- I have usually felt that Warwick's have a "baked un" sound which cannot be dialed out.

The similar neck woods of the Ibanez should provide an almost indentical sonic foundation (albeit with what looks like Barts... another source of "baking in" in my humble opinion).

Ibanez should be lighter- have a thinner neck- same string spacing- perhaps a little more flexibility in the electronics... I'd take the Ibby.

My name is Gustav and I always thought it would be very Teutonic and cool to own a 'wick- when I finally got one I found it a bit cumbersome and limited me to one supremely awesome bad-ass tone. Sold the bass at a profit and got a Warmoth Gecko with similar woods that simply crushes in versatility. This looks like a very similar scenario to me.

6. jonartimus

jonartimus

Jan 15, 2015
    Texas
    My heart says Warwick but my shoulder says Ibby. Tough call!

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Beautiful basses both.

8. I used to own a Warwick Thumb bo 6, I now own an SR4006E. I'd buy the Ibby again and again.

9. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Already made a decision? :)

10. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Not yet

11. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    It's though huh? :p What would you like to spend, maximum?

12. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    I'd like to stay under 2000, preferably a 5 string.

13. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    it's not a big deal with a six string, as I'm comfortable on both, but I'm playing a 5 string right now.

14. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Ibanez BTB 1405e/1406e or BTB 1605e/1606. You will love them.

15. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    I think this is one of those periods where I want to have something until my custom is finished. GAS is a shameless bitch.

16. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Haha, yeah it sure is. But you decided not to have something extra?

17. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Eh, still looking at both. From experience of the Ibanezes, I've had BTB's and SDGR's, but I'm not big on spending that much cash for an Indo-made bass ($999 was the most for me, for a 776PB). They'd be CRAZY expensive, but would be AWESOME if they just had the Prestige BTB's again! The 4006E was actually available, used, at a store near my parents in Baltimore. I tried it, and it was very solid with a straight neck (with the KTS rods). The sound was huge, but the one thing that turned my away, was that the saddles don't allow the strings to go low enough for me. Yet, the older monorail design (3006E) did, as it was almost like an ABM bridge. Because of this, as I don't think there's a way around it, I'm steering towards the Warwick.

18. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Forgot that I'm getting a new cab, so who knows which way I'll go on the Warwick. Crap! But, the cab's gonna be a Schroeder, so I'm psyched!

19. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    The bidding ended on the Ibanez. Did you get it?

20. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Nah, steering towards the Warwick. Those all-wenge necks are supposedly nasty, and the pickup routes are exactly the same size as Carvin's radiused pickups, too. I don't mind the weight, either...had a BTB that was 11.6 lbs (the neck went bad after a fall).