Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This will probably sound stupid........

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by banalfreshness, Oct 18, 2000.

1. banalfreshness

banalfreshness

Oct 18, 2000
    but, how can one tell the difference between a bass amp and a guitar amp? I'm new to the whole bass thing and I really want to learn. Also, what would be a good practice amp to get when starting out? I'm planning on spending up to $200 to get a good/decent one. Any info will be welcomed. Thanks in advance. :D Banalfreshness

2. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    Yep.. It does. ;)
    Bass amps usually have a 'B' in the model (ie BX50 or 50B) and usually say "Bass" somewhere on them. If in doubt, ask.

3. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    and don't forget, bass amps seem to be more expensive. :(

4. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    ...and WAY heavier!!!!!:D

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    and welcome to the board.

Ed why do you take the michael out of peoples names? NB I find it very amusing but as someone who also has a surname with enormous potential for comedic alterations I dont bring attention to it. Also I dont think we have sparred yet so lets go :)

CS-donning his asbestos undergarments

6. when i started out about a year ago, i didnt have a bass amp, so i used a small guitar practice amp. i blew out the amp about two months later. so if you were thinking about using a giutar amp i would strongly discourage it

7. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    bass amps are closed in the back... whereas guitar amps u can see the speakers

8. Bass amps are usually more stright foward. Single channel,EQ controls & volume. Guitar amps, depending on their size have like 2 or more channels,built-in effects ie gain, overdrive or distortion, reverb or chorus. Maybe that helps?

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If it says "Eden" on it, it's a bass amp.

[Edited by Munjibunga on 10-18-2000 at 11:40 PM]

10. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Blimey I've been Kung Fuqua'd

11. banalfreshness

banalfreshness

Oct 18, 2000
    Thanks for the help. As to filling out my profile, I prefer to remain more mysterious..........for now.:D