Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This would work right?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fleabass89, Jun 21, 2001.

1. Hartke 3500 head, and Carvin RL115. Just wanted to make sure nothing would blow up. The Hartke puts out 350 W at 4 ohms and the carvin handles 600 W at 4 ohms.

yay or nay?

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Yay..
    But you wont get enough high end.
    I have never recommended running just one 1x15 Cabinet without a tweeter.

3. I have played through combos with a 15" speaker and no tweeter and they sounded fine.

4. PLUS, I was going to get a 2x10 or 4x10 later after I get the money.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    People tend to forget or not realize that tweeters are a relatively recent addition to bass rigs and that tons of people got great sound before, without them. Unless you need the extra high frequency presence they add, you can, too. My B-100R is a 15 with no tweeter and I've had a few conversations with people telling me it wasn't good for slap. This was curious only because they'd never actually heard a B-100R, just read about it.

Keep this in mind....bass 15's are not subwoofers, they don't have the same limits as subs (e.g. 30-250hz frequency response). They can work very well for full range use...it depends on what you want.

6. To me, tweeters on bass cabinets are about as useful as a screen door on a submarine.

Come on people, it's Talkbass, not Talktreble.

Some people.....

Chris (I'm kidding around, I know some folks like that clankety-plink-plink sound, it just gives me the shivers :D)

7. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    It depends on the speaker desing.
    Currently most speaker cabs that have a 15" have a frequency response up to 2khz at most.

So you lose all the range from that trough 20khz...
    I prefeer to have a Full range system that truly reproduces the sound output of my amp and instrument.

Even a 6.5" Speaker CAN BE a subwoofer,so its not about speaker size but Design..

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

9. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I used to run my setup bi-amped with a 15" cab and a 2-10 with tweeter.

I now use only my 15" cab and that's all, and my sound has never been better. Even when I had the 2-10, I turned the tweeter off.

I'm in agreement that we are talking bass here. The only thing I noticed being gone without a tweeter is hiss and that clanky fret sound. Of course there are those that prefer hiss and that clanky fret sound.

Took me a long, long time to realize that it's more about "how" you play than "what" you are using. One of my favorite bass players (you wouldn't know him...just a local dude) had this amazing sound...turns out, no matter what he played through he had this amazing sound...and all of his gear was old, beat up crap. Whenever I asked him what he preferred in equipment, he always said...I don't know, don't care either as long as I can hear myself through it.