Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This year's Montreal Jazz fest

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Phil Mastro, May 13, 2005.

1. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Just wondering if any of you guys (and gals) are planning on going to see some shows. They have quite a lineup this year. 5 Pat Metheny shows, Enrico Rava, Randy Weston, Zakir Hussain and John McLaughlin, Bill Frisell, Dewey Redman, Paolo Fresu, Clarke-Ponty-Fleck, Charlie Haden, Bobby McFerrin, Dave Holland Big Band, Toots, Roy Hargrove, Sonny Rollins...

I plan on seeing a Metheny show (proabably 80/81 with Redman), Enrico Rava with his quintet, Eric Longsworth with Sylvain Luc, and maybe Bill Frisell and Dave Holland.

How about you guys?

2. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    I'm going to see Dave Holland, Mark Knopfler (he usually has Glenn Worff on bass!!), Bill Frisell, Charlie Haden w/ Gonzalo Rubalcaba, Metheny, and Steve Swallow. Also considering Sonny Rollins. There is also a hip-hop group called Automato that sounds interesting. Can't wait :hyper: :hyper:

3. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Come see the LaurenHill Academy Senior Jazz BigBand at the Montreal JazzFest!
    Friday, July 8th @ 3:00pm!!! I will be bassing for my school! (Outdoors, most likely on the big GM stage)

4. I'm gonna be checking out the usual free shows... Stephen Barry (4th year in a row), Jimmy James (who's always at Kitts music), and Jazzin's band. You'll always find a sleeper hit playing a free show, like Los De Abajo who played an amazing show last year.

5. Jazzin'

I'll be seeing the Dave Holland Big Band. I'm usually a freeloader, but this year, I'm seeing a concert which costs $$$.

6. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I might go see Clarke-Ponty-Fleck if there is tickets left!!
    And some free show of course.

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'm gonna see if there are any Metheny tickets...sounds awesome. I want to go SO badly. Great festival...I'll be spending 4 years in Montreal a few years from now :D.

8. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    aaargh.....so excited....can't wait :hyper: :hyper:

9. I'll be seeing them this coming Tuesday at the Ottawa Jazz Festival. Can't wait!

The band on before them promises to be good. Michel Donato on bass and Paul Brochu (from UZEB) are in the lineup.

10. Stephen Barry, SOLID bassist! He's blues though isn't he?

11. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Donato/ Brochu you can't go wrong!!

12. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    He is, he's been running for over 20 years now!

13. Caron/Brochu is pretty deadly too!

14. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Wasn't the most recent Cirque du Soleil special, with a reuniting of all the original shows' singers, part of that jazz festival last year? I would have killed to see Francesca Gagnon, Francine Poitras, and Matthieu Lavoie all up on the same stage.

15. Stephen Barry is the king! Killer show, this year would make 4 years in a row watching him. He even let me check out his pre-CBS Jazz a few years back. Great guy!

16. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    you might be interested in seeing the manhattan transfer ... mike pope is with them!

17. Jazzin'

My plan this year is to get there at 1pm everyday and leave at 1am every night for all 11 days of the jazzfest. Wish me luck.

18. Jazzin'

Anyone see the LaurenHillAcademy BigBand today?

19. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    Jazzin,

How did it go? (Sorry I missed it. I was in the Laurentides).

20. Jazzin'

It was really good, we played alot better than we usually do in practices. Apperently, no one noticed that I had a bass solo. But I'm used to that, plus I only had 8 bars.