1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thomann 3/4 by Strunal.

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by BassNoobSuomi, Oct 27, 2013.

1. http://www.thomann.de/fi/thomann_double_bass_europe_1e_bd_34.htm

Are these any good for jazz?
    I'm on a tight budget, and even this at this price it is a bit of a stretch for me. But i feel that it's time to actually get myself at least a half-decent upright, Seeing as my current one feels like it's about to fall apart at any moment.

And before anyone tries to burn me at the stake. I've already done a search.

2. Hi.

I'd reply in finnish, but that IME literally gets one burned on a stake :).

Any bass is good for jazz, jazz is where the... You know ;).

Your search probably revealed that Mikman http://www.talkbass.com/forum/member.php?u=112313 is the TB Thomann bass guru. I haven't seen him advice against it, so PM'ing him would probably be the quickest route.

If that's the same bass my predecessor in the now retired Diesel-Band had (sure looks like it, I wasn't overly impressed when I quickly tried it.

I'm used to the "skinny" triangular neck and the Bomberg bevel on my Eastern block (most likely) BSO, so that may have a lot to do with it.

As well as the fact that I'm really a BG player and just a DB DIYholic and tinkerer.
    Can't really play DB worth a crap. Really.
    Doesn't stop me though, or even slow me down.

What's so wrong with Your current bass, it can't be that bad?
    Can it?

If it's really bad, and priced accordingly, PM me ;).

Regards
    Sam

3. Thanks for the help. Also, my current bass has a plywood fingerboard, the body is nailed together as opposed to being glued. Chances are it will fall apart the next time i try to play it. But i got it for 50 euros, so it's not THAT bad for the money.

If you still want it, send e a pm.

4. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I have a Strunal 50/4 Blonde (must be similar to the one you show) and I use it for everything from jazz to bluegrass. Of course I never asked if it was OK, I just did it.

5. MIKMAN

MIKMAN

Mar 4, 2008
    Larisa, Greece
    If you want my $0.01 advice this bass is a decent instrument, probably representing the best value for money double bass in the European market.
    If you need a work horse, strong, robust and almost unaffected by the weather conditions of your country buy it.
    Mike

6. Hi.

Intriguing :).

Pm'd

Regards
    Sam

7. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Strunal basses are the "Kay/Englehardt" of Europe. Well made, good materials and workmanship, sound good (as plywood basses go), and the price is right. Here in the states I paid 1800 USD for my Strunal 50/4 Blonde set up and strung with Obligatos. I've been quite happy with it.

8. Thanks for all the help. I'll be getting this bass sometime soon.

9. These buy price for these kinds of basses is much higher here in Canada.
    Seems like a good deal. Factor in some extra money for a better setup by a local luthier perhaps better strings, and gig bag, bow, pickup, bass wheel etc.

10. MIKMAN

MIKMAN

Mar 4, 2008
    Larisa, Greece
    Actually Strunals are much better than the present day Engelhardts, since they feature a very good neck in the proper thickness and a very resonant laminated body.
    Strunal's luthiers also make the 5/8 series, fully carved roundback basses with excellent tonewood in reasonable prices. I have one of them in my hands now performing a thorough set up and i'm impressed for one more time. The company now offers lower prices if you buy directly from the factory, something particularly good for the present days!
    Mike