Thomann basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by apoole, Oct 18, 2004.

1. apoole

Oct 4, 2004
    Has anybody recently purchased a Thomann model 3, 3/4 size double bass. They are solid wood, flat back basses made in the czech republic.

I'm thinking of buying one and would be inerested if they sound any good for the money (around £1050). I need one for jazz and classical palying.
  2. It's not a lotta fun to give Newbies information, when most of you seem to not want to give us any information about yourselves! It helps us get an idea of your likes and dislikes, what genre of music you're involved in, where you're coming from in terms of personal history and what equipment you have or want to have.
    Having ranted on about that, welcome to TBDB!
    For info on Thomann basses, or any other basses for that matter, use the Newbie Links and the Search Function.
  3. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Originally Posted by scbanjoman
    i got my first double bass,it is an engelhardt supreme.I took it and had it set up they took the bridge off and put a maple one on and adjusted the sound post and told me that for a couple of weeks i might hear all kind of sounds from it till it settles,i dont know,but after playing an electric it just doesnt seem loud enough on the a and e string when i fret a c or g, but maybe its just me.

Did a pro luthier set up your bass? It may be that the strings that came with your bass may be strings that are not good for pizz and are strings made for bowing. As Ray said, you need a teacher! You are a Newbie......please spend some time on the Newbie Links and the archives to learn about the instrument. You don't "fret" a c or g on the double bass because there are no frets on a DB.
    Welcome to TBDB!
    Paul Warburton.

after this post I thought you were getting soft Paul. ;)
  4. What the hell do ya mean by that?? :D
  5. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN

Paul has great advice. Check out the Newbie links. You can spend hours learning good info.