Thomann Double basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by TenorClef, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Hi i'm new to this forum. I was wondering if anybody could tell me anything about Thomann Double basses. You can find them listed here-

Good, bad or ugly for this price? I'm not looking at a career in playing bass, it would be more as a hobby. Seems like a good starter bass for the price?

Perhaps some more experienced doublebass players could share some light on what to and not to look for in a bass.

Thanks in advance for any insights you share.

2. Hi Andy, welcome to TBDB! First off, as we tell all newbies, visit all the Newbie Links at the top of each Forum area. If the information you're looking for isn't in there use the search feature.
    It's also good to fill in the information in the profile area, by clicking on your name. Obviously you're in Europe because that Thomann site is from there.
    I've heard of Thomann basses but can't remember ever having seen or played one in person. I can't help you much on the prices, since they're listed in Euros.
    The one thing that stood out in the link you provided was that the finger board is "hardwood" meaning that it could be anything. Ebony or Rosewood are the two most common and best for the double bass. Because of prices on these woods, the prices revolve, somewhat, around this issue. The least expensive laminated basses in the USA usually come with rosewood and sometimes maple fingerboards. However, the ad also mentions that the FB has been the picture the FB looks black, so this probably means it's been painted black and then laquered. This means the paint and laquer will come off...on your hands and leave your FB in a pretty bad place. The FB should not have anything on it.
    The bass actually looks real nice, but do alot of reading in the links and check out as much as you can with the Search feature. If the price is workable for you, you can take some time making changes like a better fingerboard, and having adjusters added to the bridge.
    Good luck and keep us posted.
  3. Well, I used a currency calculator to figure out how much that would be. It looks to be about 500 dollars in American dollars. That sounds to good to be true.....

"my $.02"

4. Yeah, maybe we all better buy 1 or 2!
    There's also that Sunburst model in there too. :hyper:
  5. Yes it is very cheap for a double bass however Thomann are very competitive in their prices which is one of the reasons i buy from them, its a company based in Germany and i find them about a 1/3 cheaper in prices than similar items purchased in the UK. However for the price i think this bass is not much more than a starter bass to give prospective bass players a feel for the real thing. My 2 cents worth....... :)
  6. Do you know the country of origin for the bass?
  7. No, but you could e-mail them to find out if your interested.
  8. Actually, you should be the one that is interested.
  9. Good point! I'll do that today.
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think there might be some confusion here? So - "Thomann" is the name of a German-based "CyberStore", (warehouse in cyberspace) not an instrument manufacturer.

So - there are no details on their site, but the way I see it , the warehouse is just buying in "no-name" basses for as little as they can, to sell on their site - they are not making these basses there.
  11. Bruce Lindfield

12. Thanks for the link, i'm not sure it made things any easier for me but was very enlightning at the same time.
    Here's what i'm gathering so far-

Finger board should be solid like ebony or rosewood
    Top should be solid (back n sides not as important)

So there appears to be a number of 'student' instruments with these features but still not esp good DB's as they don't project well or the tone is not right and these at £1000 or so.

Maybe the Thomann for the price would not be such a bad option given the facts?
  13. Bruce Lindfield

But what are the "facts" about the "Thomann"? They are not musical instrument makers, they are a cyberstore - this does not bode well for me....:meh:

The thread I mentioned and many others around here warn of buying cheap Chinese basses and then wanting to get rid of them quickly - is this just going to be the same and more of a "liability", that you will struggle to sell on ?
  14. Thomann sent me an e-mail today to say that the bass in question was made in China.
  15. Bruce Lindfield

I think the point to bear in mind is that you generally get what you pay for - a £1,000 student bass is likely to be twice as good as a £500 chinese one - but neither will be as good as a £2,000 bass!! ;)

Personally I wouldn't buy any bass without having played it first.
  16. Hmmm? Think i'll get it anyway, i know i'll end up selling it later but for now i think it will give me the opportunity to get the feel (if not the sound!) for the DB as well as get use to plotting out where the notes are found. I figure if i take to the DB i'll end spending £1000 or maybe a bit more on a nice second hand bass. :hyper: