1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thomann double basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by vbence121, May 11, 2017.

1. vbence121

vbence121

May 11, 2017
    Hello everybody. This is my first forum post ever so please be patient with me if I mess something up.
    Long story short I always LOVED the sound of a great double bass, but I never bought one because it seemed hard to learn, plus the most common opinion on the internet (and on this forum as well) is that one must spend more then 1500$ in order to get a beginner double bass (and even that is considered subpar and bad). Recently I just randomly searched the db section on Thomann and noticed that they have a big line of "affordable" basses (111e, rockabilly, 50's dinner). I have previous experience with Thomann and their own brand products and I'm yet to have a bad experience. I know that most people suggest one should spend a lot more on a double bass, but since I mostly play at home for myself I can't justify paying that much. But for around 670€ or 740$ it's closer to what I'm willing to spend on my first double bass.
    So my question would be wether anybody hade any experience with any of the products mention and can give me a quick honest opinion. I'm not looking for a professional instrument, my aim would be a good instrument that I can play for at least a few years and holds tuning and sounds decent. Thanks a bunch in advance for anyone willing to help.

https://m.thomann.de/intl/cat_GK_TRSTKALM.html?i11l=en_GB:HU.EUR:HUF&s=price

2. Michal Herman

Michal Herman

May 31, 2013
    111E is cheap Chinese plywood - good if you want to try if DB is for you. If you will get into DB you can sell it and buy something better.
    If you want something more serious Thomann 22 line, which are Czech Strunals rebranded by Thomann.

3. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    Great idea, gets you playing an upright.

You will significantly improve the sound of a bass like this with used high end strings. Spiros are available now and then for cheap on talkbass classifieds, they sound great and last forever. The original strings can be horrible, sound weak and just not feel right.

The set up is very important too, string height and sound post location etc. A luthier will help you with this.

Of course, a teacher will help you every step of the way. Have fun!

vbence121 likes this.
  4. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp

Apr 13, 2006
    Colorado
    Krivo Pickups - uncompensated endorser
    Here's a thread I made out the Thomann 111E bass I owned/played/gigged for a year and some change while I was broke and living in Sweden.

NDB - Thomann 111E

I wrote a lot about this bass, and I pretty much stand by my assessments in that thread. Basically, it can be a workable solution if you can end up not paying an arm and and leg for setup work. If you go into a shop and need a fingerboard planing, bridge shaping, new tailpiece, new endpin, strings, etc. you'll probably end up paying just as much as the lowest price bass in their shop. I deal hunted for parts and had a luither bandmate do the work for me, but not everyone has the time/patience/access to do something like that. I will also add that that my current (and unremarkable) Shen SB80 is a noticeably better sounding and playing instrument.

vbence121 likes this.
  5. MIKMAN

MIKMAN

Mar 4, 2008
    Larisa, Greece
    The Thomman 111 BR is a decent cheap Chinese double bass, robustly built and without any danger to explode in the hands of its owner. HateyMcAmp gave all the details about it. Needless to say that i laid my hands to three more 111 basses and i found the same consistent construction.
    To make a long story short it is good for a first bass, good as a back up bass and good as a work horse for difficult playing situations.
    PS: The Thomman 11 models are European basses but they are constructed in Reghin, Romania by the Hora company. The Strunal bases are the Thomman 1, 2 and 3 models.
    For any further details please feel free to contact me.
    Mike

HateyMcAmp and vbence121 like this.
  6. vbence121

vbence121

May 11, 2017
    Thanks for the great insight. I looked up Hora basses and I could get a b120 for a little more then the Thomann 111e-s, but I would lose out on the Thomann setup. Would it be worth paying more and getting it setup (or attempting it myself)? Are they better in terms of quality?

7. MIKMAN

MIKMAN

Mar 4, 2008
    Larisa, Greece
    Some Hora laminated basses featured an exceptional quality in construction. They were in the 200 series and they were much better that the 100 series. If i were in your shoes i'd go for the 200 series and then i'd trust a good luthier to perform a thorough set up. Thomann performs a basic set up but a decent luthier can make miracles in terms of playability and sound.

panos likes this.
  8. vbence121

vbence121

May 11, 2017
    Thanks for your opinion, it's grately appreciated but I'm not looking to spend that much yet. (It would cost half a million HuF or 1800 dollars and this doesn't include the setup cost). For a student like me that's a lot of money (I could get a car for that much, granted not the best and used but still a car).

9. Why do you compare it with the car? Here are some more options for what you can buy for this money:
    - big TV
    - electric guitar
    - water pump
    - old barn
    - thoroughbred puppy
    - a barrel of milk (including a barrel)
    - refractor telescope
    - a bike
    - industrial oven for bread
    - motorboat
    - the tuxedo
    - model helicopter
    - collection of butterflies
    and other.

TBLuthier likes this.
  10. tlintu

tlintu

Jan 2, 2015
    Espoo, Finland
    This thread is bit old but I’ll post anyway as it’s one of only few Thomann related double bass posts.

My first option was Thomann rockabilly bass but finish on that was just so horrible I had to return it. It resembled more a decoration/lifestyle item than an instrument. It had holes from the branches on the fingerboard, deep cut (painted on) on the side of neck, missing paint, excess paint all over, ”crocodile” paint on scroll etc. It was B-stock so might be something that they can’t get rid of as they offered a discount if I kept it.

Then I bought the slimline (ATM less than 150€ more expensive) and oh boy was that a nice bass! Finish is gorgeous and it is really easy to play as a beginner (slap, pizzicato, bow with Evah Pirazzi Slaps). It is made by Hora in Romania, Europe. End pin is crappy but that was 25€ upgrade.

So some of them are PoS and some real keepers.

VictorW126 likes this.
  11. Thanks!

12. MIKMAN

MIKMAN

Mar 4, 2008
    Larisa, Greece
    For any details about the Thomann basses (and many other European basses as well) i am always available for the forum's friends.
    Mike

delta7fred likes this.
  13. How loud is the slimline model it looks pretty good

14. tlintu

tlintu

Jan 2, 2015
    Espoo, Finland
    As loud as ”regular” one. Might lack bit on the lower register tho.

Bebopalamabama likes this.