1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thomann Lefty bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Chrispurchase, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Chrispurchase

Chrispurchase

Oct 24, 2007
    Hi, I'm looking at buying my first upright. I've played electric for a number of years and am attending Jazz school and like to learn to play the upright.

I have two problems firstly that I am left handed. I know that it'd be easier to learn playing right handed, but I've played on other peoples bass at school and it feels completely more natural to play left handed and secondly I'm in New Zealand, so the chance of getting a left handed bass are slim to none and the cost of sending one here exceeds the cost of the bass normally.

I looking at the option of partly converting the local Luther company explained that they had done a few where they keep the sound post in the same place but there is no guarantee to how the bass will sound or handle the conversion.

I have recently discovered that thomann.de caries left handed basses amd only charges 50 euro for shipping worldwide. they have two basses that i was looking at http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_kontrabass_2_l.htm and http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_kontrabass_1_l.htm I've done a search on here and reviews are resonably favourable for the right handed basses but the lefty ones seem to have a different numbering system for the models can anyone shed some light on these for me are they the same as the right handed models? does anyone have any info on them at all?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I knew a guy who played left handed locally and he was not on a big budget, but he got a local bass maker to convert right handed basses for him and I heard him play and even tried his basses on occasion. It seemed like there was very little difference between his LH basses and RH basses I'd played?

What I'm trying to say anyway, is that he didn't see it as a big problem and surely conversion has got to be a better option than transporting a bass across the world? As in - find a RH bass that you are happy with - get a fellow player/teacher to come along with you? Then get it converted. In fact your teachers at the Jazz school may know people who can do this?