Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thomastic fine tuner tailpiece

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by toman, Dec 30, 2003.

1. I was just looking at my new lemur catalog and noticed the thomastic metal tailpiece with fine tuners. Seems like a fair deal for sixty bucks; anybody have one of these? I like the idea of being able to easy adjust and experiment with the afterlength of the strings. Or, are there any find tuners out there I could attach or adapt to the tailpiece I have?

2. I don't mean to change the subject, but why would you want a fine tuner for a bass? Does anyone use these things? Anyone seen any professional players with them? Do they make an audible difference or increase playability?

Many is the time I've watched (jealously) as a pro player will adjust the tuning of a string whilst playing - they ain't going to do that trick with a fine tuner!

And if they do 60 bucks is good - but would it be a better investment put into a Pecannic tailpeice?

Also I note Pecannic uses a variety of woods and this is metal; all of which seems to imlpy that the tailpeice material isn't crucial as long as it doesn't dampen?

3. I don't think the metal's a good idea....also, the times i've seen these things on a bass they look too short.
    And, of course as Mike says, why would you want a fine tuner on a bass?
    There are people out there, Mr. Gadget types, who would go for this I guess.

4. I see them most frequently on the basses used in major orchestras. It's a fair assumption that if someone spends $50-80K for a bass, they'll spend the incremental amount to maximize it.

5. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I wasn't clear before that the Thomastic tailpiece adjusted the afterlength of the string. For no good reason, I assumed there was some winding process going on in the back of the tailpiece.

If it really does adjust the afterlength, that would be cool. Kolstein also sells adjustable tailpieces, but they're wood and more expensive.

6. Obviously using fine tuners to tune the instrument wouldn't make much sense, so I assume the purpose is to adjust the afterlength. Maybe I'm wrong though; is this thing just some kind of gimmick? As far as metal tailpieces go, ,it was noted in one of the everlasting tailpiece threads that a metal tailpiece would very likely have more mass than a wood one, and for arco playing that might be an advantage...

7. I had one of those on one of my basses back in the 1960's. The tuning machines on that bass were not very good, so I did use it for fine tuning. With all of the good machines available today, I don't see much reason for having it. It is also pretty useless for tuning the afterlength. The after LENGTH is "tuned" by changing the actual length of the string in the area between the bridge and the nut of the tailpiece. While it is true that you can temporarily change the pitch of that area with the Thomastik tailpiece turners, it is temporary pitch because the string will slide over the top of the bridge and change the pitch of the playing part of the string as well. Unless your string were glued solid to the bridge, the string will eventually equalize the tension for the entire string.

Tuning the afterlength means you change the actual LENGTH of the string between the tailpiece and the bridge until it vibrates at the desired pitch when you tune the playing part of the string. It won't change to any degree if you pull harder on the playing side of the string. If you were to simply tune the area with the tailpice tuners, the pitch will change when you give it a good pull and force the string to equalize tension on both sides of the bridge.

8. Where are you going with all this?

9. Just giving the facts. If you want one of the Thomastiks for tuning the after length, you're out of luck. Kolstein's and Mike Pecanic's will do it, but not the Thomastic. Clear enough?

10. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    That pushes the fog completely away from my direction.

11. ahhhh.... makes sense now. Thanks for clearing that up Bob. I guess it would be pretty useless then, really. Just seemed like a good idea. :)

12. No.

13. If you think otherwise, state your case.