Thomastic Jazz Flat Wounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Low Hertz, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Low Hertz

Low Hertz

Sep 28, 2006
    Davis, CA
    I'm surprised no one has written about them.

They are far and away the flat wound string ever made for the bass. Unlike all other flat wounds they have a great singing sweet sustain and an incredible fundamental. They add a huge low end to your band.

They are also the most expensive strings you can find. However, if you keep your hands clear they last for years.

They are not the old thumpy sounds of traditional flatwounds
    and a light years ahead of any current flat wound.

I've used them on my old pre CBS Fender P for over a decade,
    and old Fretless Jazz with Alembic Pickups, as well as an Alembic Epic I had. Mostly I used it playing big band when I didn't schlep my upright or when we played outdoors.

They are real crowd and band pleasers. Carol Kay uses them exclusively.

The disadvantage is they are not for popping and slapping.

What is interesting is I also have a Pedulla Thunderbass. They did not work at all on the Pedulla. [Surprisingly the Pedulla seems to work great with Pedulla strings[/I]. It really needs light weight extra lively strings. They have a very long, very thin neck and really require lighter gage strings.

But than, that's also a bass for slapping and popping.
    I'd like other options to try for it.

I grew up before there was slapping and popping, and as a bass player some of it sounded great. I loved the sound track on the Seinfield show, then found out they used a keyboard to play that:) I do like a solo bass player popping and slapping.

Generally, a band really sounds best with the bass player providing an incredibly fat fundamental. They don't care about a bass player showing off, they care about the sound of the ensemble, and the bass player provides the bottom end.
    Thomastic does that best.

Also, on archtops, and other instruments for jazz, they make great guitar flatwounds, expensive but a great sustain and all around sound. Nothing like the flat wounds I grew up with, where you sacrificed sustain.

2. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Pretty sure many, many people have written about them. Great string on most basses.

3. Are these some new chinese product? How come nobody knows about them?

4. bcamp

bcamp Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2013
    Colorado
    They're not Chinese, they come from Vienna, Austria. Thomastik-Infeld is a string maker that's been around for a long, long time. I've used the jazz flat wounds on my '63 Jazz Bass for over a decade also and would never consider another brand. One of the best features for me is the excellent string-to-string balance and the tone is always great. I also use Thomastik-Infeld Belcanto's on my upright.

5. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    OMG where can I find info about these? They sound great!
    [​IMG]

6. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Albany NY
    Many have written about them... they are the favorite of many and the subject of much discussion. Search using terms such as "TI Jazz" or TI Jazz Flats". Probly hundreds of posts.

7. I plan on putting TI Jazz flats on my Rickenbacker once I get it payed off (although when I do get it, I may use the stock strings for a while first.)

8. .
    I think you might need to learn how to use the search function a little better! ;)

9. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
    Uh oh.

I'm going to be the lone dissenter in the bunch. Tried a set of TIs on my Hofner and didn't like them at all. Flabby, toneless and dreadful sounding on my MIG Club. I put the stock Pyramid strings back on after about a month.

10. I love them. So much that today I dropped coin on the roundwound version. Had to try them. We'll see.

11. Thomastik-Infeld Jazz flatwound strings are very popular with bass players who favor flats. There's a great deal written about them in this section. First-rate flats.
    They are often referred to as T-I flats, around these discussion boards.

12. Heard a lot about them, but I have some reservations about the super low tension everyone talks about... I like a little resistance under my fingers when I dig in.

13. .
    I've been curious about the rounds too.
    Looking forward to your feedback!

14. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

They are very popular here - surprised you have not seen any of the TI Flats threads.

I have them on 2-3 of my basses, and on MOST of them they are fantastik!

On my USA P the LaBellas still sound better, and on my Fury, I feel that they are a little soft, but on my MIM Jazz and Hofner they are incredible.

15. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    I hear about these strings everywher on TB.
    I personally dont share the love for them.
    1.Overhyped
    2.Overpriced
    3.Feel like rubber bands
    I will say they do sound good, but not $75 a set sounding good.

16. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    This is the first I've heard about them. I also just read somewhere that D'Addario has some sort of new shiny flat that has been on the market for a few years. I'm told it is the bees knees by a few folks I run into but I never see them discussed on TB. I tired searching for "chromeds" but I got nothing... ;)

Is a shootout in order?

17. I do remember Carol Kaye championing Thomastik-Infeld strings a few years ago.
    I believe solo bass extraordinaire, Steve Lawson was also a supporter.

However, I discovered only yesterday that Fender's Pino Palladino Signature Precision Bass ships with Thomastik-Infeld Flatwounds. The gauges are .043 .056 .070 .100.

This thread made me want to try a set!

18. Once I get a chance to try them (end of next week) I'll post my thoughts.

19. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Maybe 'cause it's 'Chromes' ...
    Similarly, a search for 'Thomastik' with a 'c' probably won't match what you want...

There are _many_ threads on TI's, Chromes, and half-rounds.
    They're especially popular with the fretless crowd, so searching for fretless and strings will turn up a zillion relevant hits.

My fretless came with old(er) TI's but once it got used to the altitude and humidity it needed either different strings or a truss rod adjustment. One of the TI claims to fame is that they last a _long_ time so the initial high price gets spread out a lot.

But I wanted to try something different (the TI's sounded fine...) and went with half-rounds. I have a set of chromes in reserve as well...

20. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    :D

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021