thomastic solo vs weich

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by JAS, Jul 3, 2002.

1. JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    Has anyone had spirocore solos on thier bass tuned to orch. pitch? how are these compared to the weichs?
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I used to play Weichs, and one of the students at the camps has a great old French flatback with a set of the solos on it. When you play that bass you discover that you have about twice the chops as when you played Weichs, and about half the sound. I haven't compared them on the same bass, but you can feel the difference in string tension and the degree to which it resonates the entire bass. If you're amplifying, you can make up for a little of that, but not all of it.
  3. JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    are the solos thicker strings than the wiechs? i was told that they are thicker, but easier to play.
  4. I just don't know if the solos are thicker.
    I think they are eeasier to play whey tuned EADG as opposed to where they are supposed to be tuned, up a whole step. I just took off a set of solos and put on a set of weich. Sorry I sold the set to my teacher, he has used them for years.

Couple of reasons for the swap.
    The weich sound better bowed and are a little easier to bow because they don't move as much.
    The weich has a lot more volume.
    The solos are a lot easier to finger but I found my self regressing back to slab technique while playing.
    I.e. I would use the strengh of my thumb to squeeze the note instead of using my arm.
    At this point I play mostly Arco so YMMV.
  5. How about the difference between weichs and orchestras? Sound, feel, etc.

I'm giving in and trying Spiros and am trying to decide between the two.

Weichs I've heard sounded thinner and whinier, but I don't want to obliterate my hand either with orchestras. I was thinking about trying weichs and just jacking up the action a little more but that might defeat the purpose and not sound better enough to boot.
  6. I can't believe what I'm seeing here.
  7. Sometimes while I'm practicing someone in the neighborhood decides that would be a good time to mow the lawn. I want to give them a taste of their own medicine.

Sometimes this dog in the neighborhood decides to start barking while I'm practicing. I can't wait to start drawing the bow across a new set of Spirocores, maybe I'll practice ponticello. That'll shut him up.

Sometimes there's these two guys that like to race their Harley-Davidsons up and down the street. Ha ha, they won't know what hit 'em.
  8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

They both sound nice, but if you A/B them, the orchestras slaughter the weichs. Those things just have more testicular fortitude than any other string I've ever touched. In my case, it's only my right hand that suffers for some reason, and then only the middle finger for the most part.

And yesterday, my teacher played some arco stuff on my bass (with spiro orchestras), and it sounded GREAT. He's got me half talked into getting a bow. Remember, I only said HALF.
  9. Thanks, Chris, that's what I thought.

I'm not worried about the arco issue. I know that only a myth.
  10. Compared to Obligatos or Corelli Tungsten the Spirocore has more squeall but it is not to hard to control.

I have only been playing the DB for a year or so and the Spirocores help to keep my bowing in check.