1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

THOMASTICK "BEL CANTO" Solo

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by vitoliuzzi, Dec 9, 2006.

1. vitoliuzzi

vitoliuzzi

Dec 7, 2003
    South Italy
    Dear Forum,
    in my country, Italy, it's not stil avaible a New Set of strings
    by Thomasthik. I'm a classical db player and I would be very interested to know something about the "Bel Canto" solo set. Also orchestral set it might be interesting for me.
    What do you think about it? What about gauge and response to bow? And so on ...

Thanks a lot in advance.

My best regards

Vito

2. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    As far as I know, theres no solo set out yet. I'm waiting for one too!!

3. I wasn't aware there was a solo set in the works. I'm still waiting for the extended E.

4. vitoliuzzi

vitoliuzzi

Dec 7, 2003
    South Italy
    Thanks a lot for your answers.
    Really I don't know if there's also a Solo set of BelCantos. Probably the ones which have given to me some informations were talking about Orchestra Set. But it seems these strings have a thinner gauge, no scratch and a better response to bow. Now I'm using Corellis 360 Medium for my solo recitals. A very different concept from Thomastik Spirocore Solo that, if you like, you can listen to here in a bad mp3 ( http://vitoliuzzi.altervista.org ). None thought that it was possible to play the Divertimento Concertante by Rota with a set of solo Thomastik. But I make sure you that in my live performance of two years ago, Thomastik Spirocores were setted on a Romeo Orsi 1890. But now my new Donato Rubino seems to like Corellis Tungsten. So I hope Bel Cantos will be avaible as soon as possible to test them. I've written to them but none has answered to me until now.
    Thanks for your patience!

Vito (Italy)

5. vier-personen

vier-personen

Apr 10, 2006
    ciao vito,

I was told by a guy working at thomastik that bel cantos (orchestra tuning) will be available in europe in january. they are working on the distribution, he said. this was 2 months ago though, and at that time he said if I want bc NOW, I should order in the US, but I shouldn´t tell anyone :ninja:

anyway, I am still waiting for the strings to appear in europe..

6. vitoliuzzi

vitoliuzzi

Dec 7, 2003
    South Italy
    Ciao Vier,
    very interesting! Thank you very much!
    But you think in Thomastik political trading there's also the idea to make a Solo set. I'm not an expert, but I think they like to wait for market response about the Orchestra Set and then, eventually, create a Solo set. Or probably their politics is different, I don't know. Personally in Orchestra I'm very satisfied with Dominants, but now I'm looking for something else to test on my db I usually use for recitals.

Thanks again.

Vito (Italy)

7. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm wondering if Thomastik is going to make the Bel Canto's available in solo gage.

I've been using solo Obligato's D and G for my Azola EUB, and recently those particular strings told me that they ain't gonna work on the farm no more.

So I'd like to try the Bel Canto's, if they are going to be available in solo gage. OB's are okay for this bass, but I'd like to try something new.

8. Personally I don't think they'd make a very great solo string, at least if they keep most of the same feel and sound qualities of the regular gauge. In my opinion they're pretty fuzzy sounding and sloppy feeling even as an orchestra string. And not really in a good way, though I do think they make a good all-around orchestra string for a lot of basses.

Of course if we're talking about playing solo gauge strings in standard tuning, I can't comment on that really.

9. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    Yes, solo gauge to standard tuning. I'm not a classical player, though I do a lot of arco work. Arco was the forte in JAzz before the advent of Pizz, after all.:D

These solo gauge's work well for my Azola FT EUB for D and G.

I tried these strings when they first came out on an 43" scale acoustic bass. They kicked ass there. Instant Wilbur Ware on a Chinese Bass.

FYI, Quinn's is advertising the solo gauge as "Coming Soon". I was just wondering if anyone around here had any other info on the availability factor.

Guess I'll need to make a lonely phone call. If I get any pertinent info, I'll post here.:D