1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thomastick-Infeld Jazz Round Wounds - wow!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Just had the luxury of playing these strings and I love em’. There’s just one shortcoming – the gauge felt off, and upon research, it seems TI only releases this in one gauge with no options for others :(

Does anyone know of a string similar in tone/tension/feel but with gauge options like 45-100 (45-65-80-100)?

2. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    Haven't tried the Jazz rounds but was just blown away by the sound of SuperAlloys on my G&L L-2000e at practice last night. Like a rich man's version of Sunbeams. Thomastik Infeld is definitely the BMW of strings. You pay more-you get more.

3. MKA

MKA

Apr 14, 2012
    Northern Europe
    Those are great strings! I used them on my Sandberg jazz for about a year until I switched to TI flats.

They are surprisingly punchy considering the small gauge. Really smooth sound that still cuts through in a band mix. I eventually got tired of the over the top loose feel of them and they also lost some of the punchiness when they wore.

I too searched for something bit thicker but similar in sound and feel but wasn't able to find anything. Tried many half/ground/pressurewounds but none of them had the same smoothness so I went back to flats that I've used before.

But still, a great string, gotta get a new set at some point!

4. Clutchcargo

Clutchcargo Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2006
    Southern Illinois
    MG, I don't have an answer to your question about a similar string in a heavier gauge. But, a couple of years back when I first tried the Jazz Rounds I had the same thought as you. I decided to stick with them and see what happened. I'm glad I did cause I now use them on two of my basses and they feel "right". A little truss rod tweak and some time and shazam.... They play so effortlessly and sound great to me. I'm glad I hung in there with them. I felt the same way about the Jazz Flats on another bass and again stuck it out and became a TI convert. Maybe I'm nuts but I've got a two year old set that sounds just like a four month old set on an identical bass. As someone said earlier, they cost more but I think you get more. Just my two cents but give them a little time, Lee......