1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thomastik "Belcanto" Strings megathread

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Ric Vice, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Has anyone heard an update as to when the Bass sets of Vision strings from Tomastik are going to be available?

2. The new set of strings won't be called "Vision" (that's a synthetic core set). It will be a steel core arco set called "Belcanto".

It will be released before the end of the year, but that's all the details I can share right now. :ninja:

3. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    Will they be available in the Gold and Standard versions like the Belcanto cello strings?

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Okay, Mike, now yer' tickin' me off...

5. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Tease. I got enough of that on the gig tonight.:D

6. Nope, just the Standard. The Belcanto Gold for cello was designed for players with severe nickel allergies (they are nickel-free strings). The bass strings are chromium wound on a twisted steel core.

The silks are bright orange.

7. Jeff Guevin

Jeff Guevin I know you love me like cooked food.

Nov 6, 2005
    Binghamton, NY
    I'm so excited, it's like the night before Christmas! Gimme gimme!

8. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004

So will there be or is there available a synthetic core "Vision" set? I'm confused.

9. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    Based on the positive reviews of the cello Bel Canto strings I expect these to be good strings. Given the chrm composition and the cello pedigree, I would expect this to be a dark sounding string geared for arco playing. I doubt they're going to re-arrange the jazz/pizz landscape.

10. No.

11. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    :smug:

12. So Mike, will there be any attraction for us jazzers in regards to the Belcantos? I've been hearing alot of arco/pizz perfection talk going around about these strings?

13. Sure! We can engineer a string for a particular purpose, but ultimately your ear, hand and instrument decides what works best. Don't forget, Spirocore was never intended to be a Jazz string...;)

14. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    So, Paul...you gonna be one of the early test pilots for these things? I trust your judgement.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Dang it! Just when I finally think I have the string problem fixed, now there's going to be yet another new type to check out? Dang, I thought I was happy when I dug this set of Superflexibles I just got and wouldn't have to spend any more money for a long time. Now here comes a new type to jones over and spend over $100 on.

It never ends. Sigh...I should have just stuck with the Barefoot Larry weedwhackers.

16. It'd be my honor. Marcus, if I say I love them, would you go out and buy 'em?

17. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Sure, I'd give 'em a go. One thing I know about you, Paul... if you don't like them, you won't be shy about saying so.

18. Wow, it only took you 4-5 years to figure me out....how'd you do that?

19. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Can you compare them with the rest of the line? Spirocore vs. Dominant vs. Belcanto?