1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thomastik Flats On An Ovation Acoustic Bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FranF, Mar 15, 2008.

1. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Anyone try it? Thoughts?:meh:

2. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    I was thinking that if I played an acoustic bass guitar, I would use flats on it. But then again, I would never spend money on an acoustic bass guitar. After all, remarkably functional acoustic basses have been around for hundreds of years...infact, I think half of talkbass is dedicated to them. :p

Oh yeah, and I do have thomastik sprios on my upright, and they are great!

3. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    TIs on my upright too... This bass may get gigged occasionally, but will be my "porch bass". I look silly playing my upright on the porch! I do know this, the few A/E acoustic basses I did play had the bronze strings on them, and I just hate them!

4. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I put some flats on my friends acoustic bass and it sounded 100% better than with the phosphor bronze strings. try it, you won't be sorry.

5. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    Yeah, those bronze acoustic bass guitar strings put out so much string noise.
    I've yet to hear an acoustic bass guitar that made me go "WOW!"...although the little fretless rob allen looked promising. Anyways, I've spent 7 years working on the upright, so I've invested to much into it now to turn back now!

If anyone has tried it, I would love to know how the flats work on the acoustic...what with the tension and all.

6. I don't really like the zing of the phosphor-bronze strings my Martin came with so I've put a set of TI flats on. Minor volume loss when playing acoustically but (for me) a very pleasing sound when amplified.

The flats have less sustain, a little more thud and seem to bring out the sound of the wood. To me it sounds a lot more like an upright and works well for jazz and traditional C&W.

As far as tension is concerned they are far lighter than the rounds but work well for me - I had a high action previously and it has dropped a little but no fret buzz.

I'm playing the Martin a lot more now with the TIs on. Highly recommended.

7. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Just as I suspected! I've already got TIs on 7 basses, so what's one more?!!!!

8. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Just in case anyone wants to know, or even cares, I put the T-I's on my Ovation CC074, and they sound and play amazing. What a difference! No finger noise, instant fat sound all over the neck. Wow. Highly recommended!!!!:hyper:

9. Glad to hear you like them, but it sounds like I was preaching to the choir! :)

Have you tried the TIs on anything with a long scale? I really want to put a set on my 37" Dingwall and my 35" Lakland 5ers but I've seen some posts talking about "floppy" Bs. Any luck?

Cheers

10. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Actually I've been using T-I Flats for about 6 years. I have 4 short scale sets going now on my Hofners, plus my '60 P and
    '83 Reissue Jazz have long sets on them. No floppiness issues with me at all. Just a little more relief in the necks and a slightly lighter touch. Amazing strings. But on the Ovation, what a revelation!

11. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Oops! Forgot to comment on the actual subject of your post! No experience with anything longer than 34", or with 5's, but I suspect a low "B" T-I may be a bit floppy. The "e", while comfy for me, is about as soft feeling as I'd like to go. Hopefully someone here with direct experience will chime in!

12. Well after much procrastination, finally tried them and am really surprised. Haven't lost any of the Lakland (55-02) 'sound' but to my ear it's now much more pleasing, with a fuller, smoother edge.

The B is the thickness of a hawser on an oil tanker, but I don't find it floppy at all and at least it fits strung through the bridge, not through the body. Also very pleased that it fitted the nut without modification.

The B from a set of D'Addario Chrome flats (part of my procrastination!) didn't fit: the ball-end windings were too long and too thick for the string to go through the hole. Probably a one-off manufacturing fault.

Have got flats on everything now except my Dingwall, and that will stay hi-fi.

13. N8116B

N8116B

Jan 14, 2008
    Earth
    After reading this thread I too gave it a try.

Much better sound than with the round wounds. Those TI flats do sound great on my eBass and now that they are on my acoustic I am sold on them for just about everything.

14. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    +1
    They sound great.

15. I have often wondered why a I put up with those phospher bronze things on my ABG for so many years.......
    I have GHS Precision flats on my Carvin AC40 fretless now. Much better tone wtihout all the fingernoise. SO much more kinder on my fingerboard as well.

16. I have an Applause bass that's the same as an Ovation. I got tired of the original strings and installed D'Addario Chromes. It was a very good change and I like them much better than the original phosphor rounds. (Since my Applause is a short scale, I just bought short scale strings.) There is less string noise and the bass "feels" better to me. In short, I'd say it's a good change to try.

The thing to watch out for is that the holes in the bridge on AE basses can be small - to get the Chromes through the bridge holes I had to cut the silks off the bottom of the strings. If you do this, don't go heavy-gauge on strings or you may not be able to get them through the bridge.

17. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Wow, thought this thread vanished! Forgot I started it. Still loving the TIs of course. Whoda thunk, flats on an ABG??????