Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

thomastik flats - what style?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jacove, Sep 21, 2005.

1. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Hi

I've played the Thomastik Jazz flats for a while, I play pretty much everything from hard rock to soft jazz/blues standards...I find that the Thomastik's can cover pretty much every style because they are very flexible....which style do you prefer with the Thomastiks and have you had any experience with styles where they seemed like the wrong set of strings?

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    TIJF's are great for everything...
    'cept maybe funk.

3. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I guess you mean "slap" funk, cause I think they are pretty good at some greasy fingerstyle funk...

4. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Exactly.

5. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I used the JF-344's on my Epi Jack sig bass for gospel, blues, jazz.....very articulate and forward in the mids. I'm waiting for my Smiths to wear out before I try the 345's on my Fender RB5. You guys should check out JACOVE'S post on TI's vs Labella flats............He's convinced the TI's sit better in the house mix (my biggest concern).............Think I'll be trying them next! Massive thump and low end isn't always the best. :eyebrow:

6. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    HUMBUCK2, Thanks for referring to the other thread...yeah, I did an a/b test with both the Labella and the Thomastik on a few gigs, and I really liked the way Thomastiks sat in the mix, they were punchy, varm and not too boomy. The Labella had a more scooped sound with a powerful bottom end, but somehow the low-mid punch of the thomastiks just gave me the articulation and presence I was looking for in a traditional band setting. Some may like Labella's better, which I in fact did in my demo room at first, but the thomastiks just won me after playing them on gig....I then found that they really suit a lot of different styles, and can get pretty nasty and growly if you dig in, so I was just wondering which styles you guys think they are best for.... ;)

7. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'm convinced :)

I'll order a set of TI Jazz Flats today for my jazzbass. They are on my fretless, but I can only imagine how good they will sound on my bart-equiped Warmoth lacebody jazz.

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I just ordered a set of the 32 in. scale TIJFs for my Fender Stu Hamm Urge I bass. I'll probably mess with the electronics too to see what I can do with the combination.

Should be an interesting experiment...

9. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Works well on on mine! I have a Stu Hamm Urge I (the "standard" model-- MIM-- 2 J p'ups). Along with TI JF324's, I added an Aguilar OBP-1 and Fender Noiseless J pickups. I use this bass a lot and love the changes.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I thought they were great for the style of taking them off and sending them to a pal in Canada who loves them.

11. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Dang, I thought I originated the idea :meh: :D

Thanks for confirming that it will work. :hyper:

My bass is the MIA Urge I with three pickups. I'm going passive with three volume controls and a on/off tone switch (so I don't have to drill, etc.). Should be fun...I haven't owned a bass with flats on it since about 1975.

12. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    I just came across a music store that is selling off all of it's acessories at 20% off, including the Thomastik jazz flats. They come to just under $26 plus shipping.
    www.highnotemusic.com . I thought you might like to know. Good luck. Mel

13. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    My mistake, that was the price for the Power bass strings, the jazz flats were $29.59. Still a great price though. Sorry. Mel

14. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Perfect for classic rock - especially McCartney style.

15. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Same here. I use them for everything. But I also went over to TI SuperAlloy's on my Zon Fretless and they are like a JF with more bite. My Read Model J wears JFs and it covers it all. Great strings.

16. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    How about the Jazz Flats Rounds....I've heard people talk about them as being most suitable for solo bass, do you think they are as versatile as the Jazz Flats...they are really sweet sounding, but are they a great allround string?

17. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I've used the Jazz Rounds on several basses and to me they are the hardest strings to get a handle on. They have a lighter feel than the flats, and don't have the pronounced midrange. They sound "flat" in their response, not dead, but very neutral. Playing with a light touch is their strong point. They have excellent response to dynamic playing but the range "tops out" so they don't just keep getting louder. I've had them on a few fretted basses, a fretless jazz, and a fretless Turner Electroline 5.

I still keep a set or two in the box. They could be the answer to a lot of players desire for a great set for getting a nice dymanic response from fingerstyle playing.

So no, I don't find them as versatile as the Jazz Flats. The "solo bass" thing may have to do with players not finding them to be loud enough, and not turning up to compensate. If you let the amp do the work they could be ideal.