Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thomastik, GREAT Flats!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by boogiebass, Oct 19, 2000.

1. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Hey guys. Just strung up my first set of Thomastik Jazz flats on a '97 American Jazz Deluxe fretless and am amazed at how good these strings sound and feel! Man alive, what a difference! Besides the high cost, is there a down-side to these strings?

2. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    One of my Jazz basses is strung with these strings. They are going on 2 years old now.

If there is a downside, I've yet to find one. But, I'm sure that there is at least one person out here who won't like them.;)

They are a bit expensive ( I've seen them priced at $100 in some stores---although this is just a BIT overpriced) but they last a looooong time and have a great tone.

3. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    They'll sound different in a week. I guess that could be a downside if you like the sound now. They sound more like flatwounds after using them for a little while. But, they're still great!

4. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    And they're really hard to slap with.

5. I tried a set and I found them WAY to thin. If they made more guages it might help, but as they are now, I don't like them much. The tone was good, but I got a lot of buzzes and rattles, so if I were to keep them on, I would have had to do a completely new setup on the bass. I'm back to the D'Addario Chromes now.

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I definitely had to do a complete setup on my '97 Am. Dlx. Jazz fretless when I put the TI Flats on. They really are pretty light for flatwounds. But once I got the action right, I appreciated the lighter gauge, it allowed me to increase speed and play with a lighter touch. And the tone, that's the main thing about these strings. Despite their great feel, I think they sound fantastic and that's what makes 'em superb strings.

7. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I use them on my Geddy Lee Jazz and I think they are great strings, no plans to use anything different.

8. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I guess I'll have to be the dissenter here, which is too bad, because I think they are really good strings. Just not exactly what I wanted. I do have to say, on the plus side, that they have the fattest-sounding G I've yet played. What I didn't like was the low tension. Also, the A and E are wound differently than the D and G, looking to me more like half-rounds. Also, my E never quite sounded quite right, which isn't too surprising since I'm playing a Precision. I've heard that P's have a reputation for being a little blurry on the open E. So, for now, I'm using some fairly heavy Fenders, although I may go a little heavier in the future because I like the way the high tension feels, and the fact that you can pluck them pretty hard without much fret rattle. Not so with the Thomastiks. I wish the Fender G string was as good as the Thoms though.

9. 100 dollars for a set of TI flats? Pay no more than 35 for the four string and 50 for the five string set!

Downside?...they are stickier than rounds. I don't like the colour of the string silk. Quality control can be dodgy...I have heard of many people (including me!) who have got sets with dodgy Es and Bs....

Other than that, the best strings for my P bass.

Andy

10. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I found the TI flats sticky when new but that went away totally after a few weeks of use. Also, I think red silk looks cool. :D

11. MJB,

The guy wanted a down side!

Anyway, I would prefer a lighter colour.

The stickiness does go, but the strings are STILL stickier than roundwounds. Of course...

:)

Andy

12. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Just a follow up to my earlier post.

I was in Guitar Center this afternoon and they had the TI flats, four string set, priced at $85.00!!!! Ridiculous!!

I paid $40.00 for mine 2 years ago.

...Anyway, I STILL think that these are great strings---so there!!!! ;)

13. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Wow - 85 bucks for TI Flats. I pay $48.00 CANADIAN for mine. That's about $32.00 US.
    Anyway I originally put them on my '97 Jazz and loved them so much I also put them on my '75 Precision. I may never use another string.

14. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Are you guys using fretless basses? I have a fretted 97 Deluxe Jazz and wonder how they'll sound.

I'll be getting my new Kinal soon so am thinking of changing the strings on my jazz for something different.

15. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Mine are on a fretted J-bass. I have put them on my fretless in the past, but I've since gone back to roundwounds, prefering the "growl" that they provide.

Flats on a fretless is a cool tone though. Real smooth and mellow. Give it a try--you might like it.

16. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Thanks ONYX. I'll run down to Bass NW and get a set. I have a gig on Saturday so I'll try them out.

17. B3Nut

B3Nut

Oct 28, 2000
    Central Michigan
    Dang....$85 a set from GEE-tar center...what a ripoff!

Carol Kaye has about the best prices on these strings, she sells the 5-string sets too. I bought a set for my MIM Precision from her, they sound *very* good on this bass, great tonal definition. I really like them.

She takes PayPal now, so that made ordering them super easy. Just go to http://www.carolkaye.com and click on Books.

I ordered them Tuesday and got them yesterday (Friday) - she's quick about getting stuff out to you.

TP

18. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
  19. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    $32.00 is what I gave to Herm for a set of 4's for my jazz. Much love for those strings(I even love the color)!!