Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thomastik has no guts

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Don Higdon, Aug 23, 2001.

1. Apparently.
    I sent the GM a temperate, reasonable e-mail describing the absolutely muddy sound of a brand-new Spirocore E, right out of a sealed package. Simply stated, the string is $31.82 (plus shipping) worth of useless metal.
    No response after several days.
    But from their web site, I have learned of owner Peter Infeld that "His philosophy of life and art, which he embraces fully with heart and soul, is the joy of holding a special vision." No sign yet that that "special vision" includes standing by his product.

2. Mark Parsons

Mark Parsons Guest

I wonder what color of sun glasses he is looking through? Or is he looking though a welders helmit to have such a lifeless special vision.

Mark

3. Don, send him a pic of your Mirecourt and your American Standard and tell him they are pics taken before you put the Thomastik on and after.

4. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I had a better luck when I broke a Dominant string while winding it. They replaced it free.
    However I wrote them several times about special string for EUBs.
    First time they replied, telling me that something would be announced maybe six months later. (that was about two years ago...)
    I sent several followups, all unanswered.
    This is one of the reasons why I banned Thomastik strings from my arsenal.
    D'Addario has a very good customer service though.
    Pirastro are sometimes responsive, other times not.

5. No response from Thomastik to my e-mail to the General Manager, so I wrote a letter. The problem is, nowhere on their web site do they give their address. So I sent an e-mail to get their address so I could send them a letter because they won't answer my e-mail. What's wrong with this picture?

6. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Send them a print-out of the first e-mail.

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Try posting over in the Thomastik forum over at the Dude pit. I've got a link on my work computer, so I'll post it tomorrow if you don't know the URL. I know Bob Golihur is a Moderator there, so there is probably a link at his webpage. The US distributor for the electric strings is really good about answering questions, and such. I think maybe it's Connolly and Co? Not sure, though. He can get you the mailing address to deal with the doublebass strings, at the very least.

Hope this helps.

8. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Yes, Connolly and Co. don't handle the double bass strings, but have been responsive in other matters - I have no doubt that they can at least steer you in the right direction.

The DudePit is at http://pub41.ezboard.com/bthedudepit

I moderate the Double Bass section, there are forums for mfrs. at the bottom of the group of forums.

9. Thanks, chimp (don't get PO'd; there are worse Fuqua renames) and Bob. An e-mail from T-I with the address was waiting for me this AM. I don't use e-mails for serious matters.
    To be continued...

10. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Hey, chimp is better than chump... :D

Good luck on getting some resolution.

11. I got an e-mail response from Thomastik, asking that I send them my dead string for analysis by their tech heads. The process will probably take a few weeks, and there's no indication of what they'll do, but at least they're looking.

12. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    The image that comes to mind is a bunch of Germans in lab coats, holding clipboards and poking the string with a stick. These are the kinds of thoughts that kept me out of the really good schools....

Hopefully, you will eventually ge a new string out of the deal. You would think that they would just send you a new one, and ask for the old one back to "study." What's $30 to a company for customer retention?

13. Don, do these strings have red wrapping on the tail piece end? I rehearsed with another orchestra last week and noticed that several of the basses had the same red end strings on the G,D & A and they used what I think was a Jargar E.

Mark

14. Donosaur:
    Maybe they'll boil it and send it back to you.