Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thomastik Infeld Flat Jazz-Will they fit?????????

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by whamonkey, Apr 10, 2003.

1. I have a Fender American Jazz 5 and I bought a set of TI Flat Jazz 5 without asking if they'll fit my baby first. Doh! Now I hear it's possible they won't fit due to the string-thru body? Anybody that can challenge this? Help!

2. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    They should fit, especially if the new bass have the option of top-loading? To make sure, measure from right where the ball anchors up to the nut on your J-5. From there you should be able to tell if they'll fit based on the following measurements. These are the lengths from the ball to the start of silk wrapping at the peg-head end of the 34" scale JF series: (The JR's, Jazz Rounds are almost identical in length, BTW)

C=37.26"
    G=37.63"
    D=37.38"
    A=37.50"
    E=37.75"
    B=36.88"

Something new on the horizon is that T-I is making lob B's and high C's to add the their 36 scale 4 string sets so this problem will soon disappear. I'm hoping for a Summer NAMM launch.

3. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    They probably won't fit if strung through the body. TI strings generally will not fit a 35" scale bass with a normal bridge, and stringing through the body requires longer strings (even on a 34" scale bass).

4. Ugh....just as I thought. Well, anybody interested in a brand new set? I'll sell them for $40 plus $2 shipping....that's $12 less than I paid but, my mistake. I'm gonna post another thread as well. Thanks!

5. The seller is refunding my $$ so thanks for the offers....I'm good. Oh, according to the manufacturer, no fit on a string thru bass without shaving the silk. :spit:

6. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    whamonkey:

Did you measure? I ask as the funny thing is thst they do fit the majority of 35" scale basses and not the other way around as jdombrow suggests. Based on the measurements I posted, the strings have a speaking length of 37+ inches which on top-loading bridges is typically about an inch or so over the length required.

I suggest you measure a string already on there against the numbers I posted to see if they really work or not.

And what do you mean "according to the manufacturer?" That's ME, which is why I posted. I am the exclusive US importer for Thomastik-Infeld. Call or email direct if its easier:

kevinr@connollyandco.com
    1-800-644-5268

7. camoe

camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    Really? Your'e not just teasing me are you? Nothing worse than a string tease..;) Please let us know as soon as they are available and/or email me as Iv'e been milking the last B string I have for a while.

Peace,
    Chuck Moe

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I have a set of T.I.'s powerbass roundwounds for my Roscoe Beck, they fit fine strung thru the body.

9. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    Nope, not teasing. They're going into production on these. Low B's & High C's will be added to the line soon. You may need to use a metric conversion chart to figure out how long 'soon' is as usually it's a European 'soon' and not a US one; could be Winter NAMM just as easily. The good news about this is that when they DO release them, the B's and C's will be excellent!

whamonkey:
    I assure you that between me and Steve we'll take care of you if they don't fit as sometimes it's a hit or miss with 35" scales or longer.

Also, I re-read my post and I didn't mean to sound arrogant by stating I am the MFG representative for the US. I was not offended in any way but sometimes web postings can appear as such since you cant hear inflections or see facial expressions.

10. Nothin but love from me here....thanks for all the help guys. That's why I come to this site, nothing like it anywhere else!:D

11. jdombrow

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thomguy,
    Why doesn't your company simply make their strings an inch longer so this question about "will they fit" wouldn't be an issue? Almost every other string company makes complete string sets to fit long scale 5- and 6-string basses to make it easy for their customers to buy the strings they need or want. How many retail stores do you think will stock single B and C strings along with long scale 4-string sets?

I've been sending emails to your company for years, asking why they won't make long-scale sets, and the response has been silence.

Jim Dombrowski

12. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    "I've been sending emails to your company for years, asking why they won't make long-scale sets, and the response has been silence."

"How many retail stores do you think will stock single B and C strings along with long scale 4-string sets?

jdombrow:

If you're in the US, only send emails to me if you want a reply. Many will tell you that my response time is more than acceptable for emails, voicemails, faxes, etc. The good folks at T-I are just not the goods at service (language gap) and for this I apologize on their behalf. (I’m their biggest customer fer Christssake and I have waited 2 days for various replies)

T-I really is making these strings. They’re making the single B’s and C’s to ADD to the already existing 4 string sets; we do not plan to sell them as singles! I'll post everywhere the moment they're available. As for their reason for not making them sooner: simple risk/reward. When you compare the expense it takes in manufacturing a 36" scale bass set, which you're unsure of how the market will accept, against slowing production on the string that sells better than any other the world over and the easy answer is to keep making the famous set. Electric bass string sales just scratch the surface in comparison to their orchestral strings that literally dominate the market and to make electric super long scale bass strings, you have to make less orchestral strings in the meantime. Even STILL; they’re doing it! Add to this the fact that it’s not that ‘easy’ to just “make ‘em longer” while adhering to the exacting standards that players have come to expect from T-I.

Either way enough of you, the collective bass playing community, have asked about 36" scale sets and over the past 4 years, I have kept files on dealers, builders and players who wanted them. This winter I sent this data to Frankfort with our company president when he went to the music Messe. This was enough to convince them to go into production. So I assure you that your requests, all of them, did not fall upon deaf ears.

Best regards,
    Kevin Reynolds
    Connolly & Co.
    Exclusive US Importers of Thomastik-Infeld Strings
    1-800-644-5268
    www.connollyandco.com

13. jdombrow

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Kevin, thanks for your reply.

"When you compare the expense it takes in manufacturing a 36" scale bass set, which you're unsure of how the market will accept, against slowing production on the string that sells better than any other the world over and the easy answer is to keep making the famous set."

I'm not suggesting that they discontinue anything. Why can't they simply make the same strings in a little longer scale to fit long scale basses? I can't imagine it would be difficult or expensive to add an inch of length.

JD

14. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    That's just the thing; they don't have unlimited resources so they have to stop a machine that was winding a great seller and use that machine to begin winding a brand new string that there is a smaller market for. The do not have empty machines sitting around with qualified workers just waiting to wind something new. The R&D dept does that ;-) and they are always experimenting.

The reason they can't just add an inch or two is that this would less accurately reproduce the frequency of the desired note and possibly at an undesired tension and output to boot. Ever notice how the gauges are different from scale length to scale length in the T-I sets? The reason for this is that their standards are so precise, that there really is on "one "gauge" for the scale length when you plug in the rest of the formula like materials, tension, etc.

To T-I, just adding a few inches would be like shaping a chicken breast into a chicken leg, calling it and leg and packaging it and selling it as a leg. Bottom line, it's fake and NOT a leg after all.

15. jdombrow

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thanks for the explanation.

jd

16. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    You're welcome. BTW: I cannot call or reply to any emails as we are experiencing technical difficulties here. It sucks.

The latest I heard regarding the super-long's is that the a 36" scale B string recently tested nicely at .125 gauge with almost the exacet same tension as the 36" scale E. So far, so good...

Also, I'm looking into prototype testing possibilities for Talk Basser's and other tenatious super-long scalers. So if authorized, I'll be in touch, JD.

17. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Doesn't Thomastik make double bass strings ? iseem to recall putting a set of them on my bass several years ago.

If so, are they separate divisions with separate manufacturing facilities?

If not, I do not see why 36" would be a problem...Db strings are WAY longer thatn that.;)

18. Average online price for a 5 string flats set is $34? I don't believe it. :meh: Four string sets are $34.

19. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    That's gotta be for a 4 string set, otherwise, please let me know ehere you got a $34 set of JF345's!

Donz: yes, T-I makes one of the world's most popular DB strings. The manufacturing facility is all in one location and their winding machines are so highly customized that with some setup, most machines can make any string in their lineup. There are some dedicated machines that only do ONE thing and the folks who run them usually hand their jobs down to family when they retire.

The 36'' scale sets are coming and there's also a signature set in the works...

20. camoe

camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    All 5 strings with approximately 40 lbs tension on each string would be awesome...my perfect set....I hope so.

Peace