1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thomastik Infeld Flats on a Precision

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by basssoundbass, Mar 28, 2013.

1. basssoundbass

basssoundbass

Jul 19, 2009
    UK
    Anyone using Thomastik Infeld Flats on a Precision.

Would be interested to here your views on this especially how versatile the tones you can get using these strings. What kind of tone works best for you with using these strings in a live gig, i.e tone more towards fully open or closed.

2. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I've had 'em on my fretless Precision for decades. They've never been an impediment to my playing or tone. That said, I play mostly jazz, soul, blues, and R&B; I don't slap, and eschew so-called rock tone with its abundant fret & finger noise and string clatter.

miles'tone likes this.
  3. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    I used them years ago.
    I thought the tone was very unlike traditional flats.
    The tone was what everyone talks about, but the rubber band feel was too much for me.

4. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    Simple math ma frien,
    TI's + P bass = good old R&B tone a la Jamerson except the tension is more playable by us mortals!

5. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    IMO the best strings you could ever use with a P-Bass.
    These strings have changed the way I Play in a good way.

6. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    RedLeg nailed it. I have them on a few Ps and it's heaven.... They bark just enough with the tone open, roll it back halfway or more and there's the sound heard on a thousand soul hits. ;-)

7. Basstreble

Basstreble

Dec 28, 2012
    I think they sound fantastic on my 62' p bass! Even muting them a bit makes them sound even better.

8. They're killer strings but you have to like 40's. Personally they're too light for me on a 34" scale for stage use, I like to dig in a little.

Hey, TI, if you're listening: Please make .45 to .105 sets? Pretty please?

9. Just. Do. It.

10. S.fasciani

S.fasciani

May 27, 2005
    USA
    TI's and Labella's are my go-to flats.
    Both are great but very different.

11. ps Depending on which strings you are using now, you may need to do a setup when switching to TI's. I personally have my action a little on the medium-high side on my TI basses; the low tension compensates.

12. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Great sounding strings on a P, and probably the most versatile flats you can find as they go into thumpy flats territory and worn in rounds territory as well.

I wish they were stiffer as I like a bit higher action and some resistance when picking. If I had a fingerstyle only situation I'd probably use the more, for now I have them on a home noodling old Tokai P copy and they sound gorgeous.

13. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    This. /\ They have more mids than any other flatwound I've tried. Mine are 5 years old now. I play about 12 hours per week, and it took them about 6 months to "settle in". Part of that is due to the rosin coating - you have to play them until it all wears off. Turn the P bass tone knob all the way clockwise and they sound like worn roundwounds with lots of mids. Back it off to get more and more classic flats sound.

I like the tension. The tension is pretty similar to DR Sunbeams IMHO. Everyone has their own preferences, however - some like their strings to be higher-tension.

14. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I used TI's on my P's for years. When I got my new P-Bass, they just didn't suit it as well as my other Precisions for a few reasons Im still kind of analyzing.
    I decided to throw on a set of 45-105 GHS Precision flats because I really lied them on my Jazz 5. They are the closest thing out there aside from Pyramid Gold flats that resemble a thicker gauge TI. More so in the tension and feel departments though as nothing out there sounds quite like a nickel flat (or a TI for that matter).

I find the GHS are just a better fit for this particular bass and are close enough to the TI's tension wise to make me happy.

15. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    TIs on my '68 P-bass. I've tried them on a variety of other basses that I have and they've never found a home. But on the P-bass they are terrific. There's a mid-range pop/bite to them that is so easy to find in the stage mix and in recordings. Nothing else has sounded so good on that instrument--and I've been through the flats: Chromes, GHS, Fender, LaBella, etc. I actually don't notice the lower tension when I'm playing. Sure, when I first pick the thing up, but in action they just feel great and my fingers are intact after a 4-hour gig.

16. PJ Muzikmansky

PJ Muzikmansky

Jan 4, 2013
    Well....I had them on my '62 reissue P for a while and took them off. They were'nt happening for me despite everything I'd read and heard

Why ?...

Well firstly, the G string is too light and there was a noticeable dip in the volume in comparison with the other strings (and yes...my pickup height is just fine)

Secondly...they just didn't speak to me on this bass:

I replaced them with a set of Sadowsky flats: 100% authentic old school sound, with a punchy G string. Much better string for this bass IMO

The thomastics are nice...but there are better strings available for a P bass

17. Holdsg

Holdsg I should be practicing Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    Endorsing artist: Remic microphones
    one word.....YES!!!!!!!

two words....Sadowsky Flats!!!!

if you want a little more tension, otherwise BOTH ROCK on a P

18. PJ Muzikmansky

PJ Muzikmansky

Jan 4, 2013
    Sorry...But I'm going to disagree with you. I dont think they thump at all...they're much too light for that.

I've tried them on four different basses and they're definitely not 'thumpy' strings in the classic P-bass sense.

Sure, they're a good string for jazz... I have them on my two stingrays (one fretless), which I use exclusively in small jazz combos and they sound pretty good in that setting... but for P bass?...nope.

19. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

May 1, 2011
    I think the tension issue is bigger deal because most people come to tis from other flats. Tis are expensive, so people buy chromes first and get used to the higher tension. They like flats and then they move on to tis. In comparison to the chromes they feel like noodles. However, if you go right to tis first you'll be right at home.

20. PJ Muzikmansky

PJ Muzikmansky

Jan 4, 2013
    True..but they can be a difficult string to get used to, especially if one doesn't necessarily have a light touch and likes to dig in.