Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flat Wounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tony Mig., Mar 2, 2001.

1. Tony Mig.

Tony Mig.

Jan 29, 2001
    I just changed the strings on my "Geddy Lee" signature Jazz Bass for the second time. I took off the Fender stainless steel round wounds as soon as I got it, and put a set of GHS Bass boomers on, but I didn't like them either. On advice from a friend, I ordered a set of the Thomastik-Infeld Jazz flat wounds (JF344) from www.juststrings.com.
    These strings are just what I was looking for, very easy on the fingers, they have a great sound, with plenty of punch and brightness, and the tension is very close to standard round wound strings. Don't know how they would sound on other basses, but on a Jazz Bass they sound fantastic.

Just thought I'd let you guys know, in case anyone was shopping for new strings.

2. Hey Tony, do they set your playing "on fire"? Hahaha.

3. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    I've never used flats of any brand, but are these TI Flats similar in tension to roundwounds? If I tried flats, I don't think I could handle the tension (I usually play DR Hi-Beams which are pretty low tension for rounds).

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    ;) Similar in tension to round core roundwounds. All tensions
    in pounds...E=34.39 A=31.30 D=37.47 G=37.03 .
    Mmmm...Hi-Beams. Round core, stainless steel roundwounds :D . If you
    like those, you'll love T/I flats. On the other hand, GHS Precision Flats and
    the LaBella James Jamerson set (while very good tone-wise) are relatively high tension.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have TI Jazz Flats on my Pedulla T-Bolt fretless 5. I love 'em. The tone is bright for flats, and they are very slinky ... moreso than most of the roundwounds I use. Compared to the Lakland Osborn flats on my Lakland fretless, they're brighter and slinkier. Bright and slinky ... yeah, that's what they are. That B string, though, it's a big honkin' .136. You'd think it'd be as stiff as a hunk of #3 re-bar, but nope ... it's slinky too. OK, that's all.

filibertin likes this.
  6. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Ive read quite a few poss on these.Most all say theyre the best sounding flats around but some dont like the very low tension.They are bright when new but after a few weeks settle into a more tradtional flat sound.Most also agree they keep getting better with age.Theyre expensive but worth it.Ill be geting a set soon from Steve(Dude)Barr.He has good prices on them and is a real nice guy.If you decide to try them id suggest you give him a call at(707)546-DUDE or try his website vintagebastradingco.com.Good luck!

7. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Steve is a really nice guy ... unless you're trying to pull a fast one over on E-Bay.

8. Tony Mig.

Tony Mig.

Jan 29, 2001
    I've had them on now for about 3 weeks, and they are really just starting to settle in. They have mellowed just a bit, but still have good punch and brightness.
    Two things to take into consideration with my opinions, I'm realitively new at playing Bass, and I'm still playing through a Fender Twin Reverb amp, as I have not gotten a Bass amp as of yet. This may or may not have an over all impact on how these strings work for me....
    What's the old saying...your mileage may vary...

9. I've got a set of TI Jazz Flats on the way, and I'm going to put them on my Reverend Rumblefish, for a little something different. Can't wait to see what happens!

10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    And, I'll be putting some on my '89 Curbow fretless. They're in the same box as Dave Siff's, and they're coming to my apartment, so I'll have 'em first. Nyah nah.

11. Tony Mig.

Tony Mig.

Jan 29, 2001
    Hey Bassmokee, sounds to me like you're going to have two sets of those TI flats.......
    How much are you going to charge Dave for his set of strings.........LOL

Hey Marty Forrer....you kiwi bugger....
    You can break my stones all you want, just remember, I have stuff on you that these guys don't know about......besides, with the value of the New Zealand currency, and the fact that your bass has six strings compared to my 4 string, you must have to save up for a whole year before you can afford to replace those suckers......LOL

12. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Tony, I have the TI flats on my Geddy as well. Had them off for about a week to try Elixirs and then put them back on. Waiting for a set for my P bass now, great strings!

13. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Wow..bass through a Twin Reverb. That would seriously affect the tone of TI's or any string.Watch out Tony. If guitar guys are lurking here they will consider that a capital crime. Don't worry we'll protect you.

14. Dont worry 'bout protecting Tony, he's surrounded by "joisey boys", no-one can get near him!

15. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Ohhhhh...I get it. Mig. is an alias.Tony's last name is really Soprano. You're right..no help needed from us.

16. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Oh so you guys didn't think I read over here huh??? Guess again ;-)

17. Not Soprano, but you're very close. Tony offers a service including kneecapping, horse heads in beds, cement overshoes etc!

18. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I wondered what it'd take to bring you out from under the baseboard.

19. I just tried out my Reverend bass with the TI Jazz Flats through my rig last night, and it sounds killer! Those strings are so easy to play.. especially that .56 D and .70 A! The bass sits real well in the mix with these strings.. it doesn't have as much presence, but not in a bad way. A little of that top-end harshness is gone. Dig it!

20. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Well ive had the TI's on my new A series P about a week now.These are the best sounding strings ive ever tried flat or round.Incredible tone that just seems to get better with each day.My only regret is that i waited as long as i did before getting themAnyone thats been thinking of trying them do so.NOW!!!!!Youll be glad you did!Good luck!