1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thomastik Infeld Jazz flats RANT!!!! TB G.A.S got me again......

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Alex Bass, May 19, 2019.

1. Alex Bass

Alex Bass Roy Batty Dreams

Apr 3, 2016
    So after YEARS of being on this site and hearing how some members RAVE about these strings I finally decided to give them a shot. What always deterred me was the price, most sites have them for $70 upwards but REVERB.com had them for $60 soooo I decided to take the plunge and buy them. The good thing is they didnt take long to get to me 2 day shipping from Texas. Now the bad......I always heard these things have EXTREMELY low tension ie "floppy" I find that is NOT the case at all!!!! They feel tension wise like most flatwound strings but grabby. The lowest tension strings "flatwound" I ever had were Sadowsky Black label flats grey silk ends 40-100 discontinued:bawl::crying::crying:, and Labella deep talkin flats 39-96 green silk ends. I have a pair of Sadowsky blue label flats on my 78 Jazz and they feel about the same tension. Now what I will say is they have a supple feel to them not firm or hard metal like most flatwound strings, they feel like broken in nickel roundwounds ie "Ken Smith burners". ALSO maybe my ears are broken but they sound the same as Chromes to me.....I put these on my 77 Ric and I didn't notice any real difference in tone from the Chromes. Maybe I got a defective pair or after years of hearing you guy and gals rave about them I made up in my mind they were the GOD SENT STRINGS but nope just regular flats, now I'm kicking myself because I could have gotten a pair of Labella low tension flats which I do like and another pair of ken Smith Burners for the price! I'm trying to find a low tension flat that was like the Sadowsky Black Label flats, I've been looking for about 2 years and even used I haven't found any:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:. Not sure if I should try these on all my basses to see if they stick on one or cut my losses and sale them. I heard the Dunlop flats were low tension but at this point I dont want to spend any more money going down the rabbit hole of the perfect flats.... IMG_0245. IMG_0248(Edited). IMG_0249(Edited).

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  2. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    Sorry for your bad experience with TIs. It's all preference, and all depends on the bass and cab. No new news there. I've liked them with one of my cabs, cant stand them with others. Never heard anyone say they sounded chromes, however. That's a new one. When new they can be bright, but then the mellow thump begins if allowed to break in--and lasts for years. I love TI Flats on some things only--can't stand Chromes on anything. TIs are really unique. Something everyone should try. Buying a used set here is the best way to go. Not out much and the strings are generally broke in.

List those baby's in the classifieds and get most all of your money back, if you haven't done so already. No need in keeping them when they don't last in the ads here.

3. walking Bass

walking Bass Supporting Member

May 24, 2005
    Northern California
    Too bad, I put a set on my American Performer Mustang and have been very happy with them, but plan to keep the round wounds on my Gibson SG. I currently debating re-stringing my Sadowsky with either their brand of flats or TIs.

Alex Bass likes this.
  4. Alex Bass

Apr 3, 2016
    Put them on my G&L L1k and yup no difference... not to say they are bad strings but I dont think the price is worth the hype. I'm gonna take your advice and hit the classifieds...

EatS1stBassist and dagrev like this.
  5. Alex Bass

Apr 3, 2016
    Go with Sadowsky's cheaper and sound better in my opinion

6. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    1. Chromes sound good

2. Unlike Chromes these last forever

7. Garret Graves

Garret Graves website- ggravesmusic.com Gold Supporting Member

May 20, 2010
    Arcadia, Ca
    And it should be noted that you should have them played in before you really know what they sound like, how long did you give these strings before you wrote the review? Chromes are brighter to my ears, when comparing settled in string sets

8. Alex Bass

Apr 3, 2016
    Honestly I only had them on for a day...but I didn't buy them for their sound I got them because everyone said they were one of the lowest tension flat strings on the market but they are not!!!! I'm STILL on my search for a low tension flat:meh:

EatS1stBassist and Garret Graves like this.
  9. sheltjo6

sheltjo6 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2012
    California
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    Now you know that TI’s are not to your liking.

Many of us TBer’s have spent money on strings, pickups, amps, cabs, etc... in search of the elusive perfect tone or in your case, string tension, Only to resale these items on TB when they didn’t meet our expectations.

I’ve tried every DR, D’Addario, and GHS string until I found strings I prefer.

Arnel M. and tradernick like this.
  10. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Hopefully you didn’t cut them so you can sell them here.

BTW, $44.65 shipping included on Amazon. Jason at Fret Nation (formerly BSOL) may have them also.

If you think they sound like Chromes, something isn’t right. I wonder if Chinese counterfeiting has expanded into the string market? Either that, or they may be defective.

When I had them on my Rick, it was pure Macca right out of the package. Rain, Come Together, She’s So Heavy, etc. Nothin’ Chrome-like about those bass lines at all.

11. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    I will not pay more than $50 for the set of strings even if Mozart himself and his mother made it in Vienna.

12. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    TI flats will not sound good on every bass. On my MTD Grendel with j pups, I can't stand 'em; but on my Keith Elfin with DC pups, they sound amazing! Go figure.

I have used Chromes for years (still have a set I'm not using at the moment), and the TIs sound and feel quite different to me. They're open sounding but not bright, and have a nice growly mids character. I still love Chromes, but I'm really digging TIs on the Elfin right now.

It's okay if they aren't your bag. You got them at a pretty good price and should be able to get most of that back if you post them in the classifieds here.

Arnel M., alpan254, mikecd1 and 2 others like this.
  13. Welp, there's your problem.

Leave TI's and Chromes on for a couple of months and tell me they sound just alike. Then leave them on for 5 + years. I have both, and they don't sound or feel alike at all. The TI's are far lower tension than the Chromes.

Judging brand new flats after only a few minutes is just a waste of time. Even a couple weeks and a handful of gigs would start to show the differences.

14. ThingsAbove

ThingsAbove

Jul 11, 2011
    I have a set of TI's and they're certainly lower tension than the LaBella Deep Talkin flats on another bass and a retired set of old Medium gauge Fender flats, but I'm new to the world of low tension strings.

I'm finding it difficult to adapt to the lighter gauge as I've been diggin in to heavier strings for many years and my meat hook right hand style is having to learn new tricks. I love their tone when I'm not yanking them half an inch with every pluck or pulling them off the edge of the fingerboard with my fretting hand.

Novarocker likes this.
  15. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    To me TI flats are the most overrated strings.

16. jmon

jmon

Jan 27, 2002
    Jax Fl.
    I will preface this by saying I love TIs.

Only having them on the bass for 1 Day you should give them a longer look before a final judgement is made.

The tension takes some time to adjust too and the stickiness will go away as you break them in.

EQing on your amp may need to be adjusted. They are unique tonally speaking.

And last of all try them in a band setting before you pass final judgement.

They are not for everybody though. And I can’t say a Ric is necessarily the ideal bass for them. Seems to me the inherent tone of that bass is sort of anti-flat wound. Not a knock on Rics at all. A well played Ric sounds amazing!

Bottom line I think a couple weeks and a gig is needed to make a full judgement on any piece of gear. Even strings.

Arnel M., LKTraz, alpan254 and 6 others like this.
  17. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    I loved TI's on my Ric, but I found them too floppy for my technique plus we tune down 1/2 step which doesn't help...;)

Good Luck!

Alex Bass likes this.
  18. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    Good plan. I would buy them but have several used sets in my string closet right now. I bought them to replace dead sets, but I have never had a set die or go bad. and some have been on and off a number of basses. They literally will last a decade or more. Makes them a great value when that's considered. But they just aren't for everyone and that's cool.

I like low tension flats. What do the Sadowsky blue label flats sound like and the blacks that you used to love? Maybe what other flat do they sound like might help describe them and have a reference point.

19. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Have you played them loud with a band? In my experience they have a high volume, treble break up that is unique. And it changes as they age. In my experience Chromes have a metallic high end where the TIs are more... cant find the words. When you hit them hard in a loud setting they have a unique response

As for tension, did you set up the bass with high action and a lot of relief anticipating low tension. If so, you should find the low tension feel as you bring the action down.

20. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    You have to give them a month. They are painfully bright right out of the pack. And I think they get softer and looser feeling after they break in.

But it takes a good month.

Shouldn’t be any problem selling them in the classifieds.