Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thomastik Infeld Jazz Flats tension and sustain

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by moley, Oct 16, 2002.

1. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    So far, I've liked everything I've seen people write about these, and I'm thinking of getting some for my fretless, and I just wondered a couple of things. For one, how is the sustain, compared with your average flatwound strings? The other thing is tension. I've got the action set quite low on my bass, but will this cause problems with TI Flats, as they have a lower tension? Will I need to raise the action to stop buzzing or clacking? I don't know exactly what the strings on there at the moment are, they're flatwounds that the guy I bought it from already had on there, but I do know they're by Rotosound.

2. Well, I can only share my experiences with my own bass. I've got a set of Thomastik-Infeld Jazz flats on my Ibanez BTB five string and really like them. The sustain is great, but then, every string I've had on the BTB has offered great sustain. The TI Flats certainly didn't degrade the sustain. I have my action set rather low and do not have a problem wiith clacking or buzzing. I re-did the setup on my bass when I installed the TI's and initially set the action rediculously low to see what would happen and did experience clacking at that level, but raised the action just a little and the problem went away.

3. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Thanks for your help! Something else I should have asked, if anyone uses TI Jazz Flats on a fretless - how are they for 'mwah' - does the lower tension make a difference?

4. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    The TIs feeling on my J is similar to the old fenders pure nickel roundwound (40-90) I used to have. If you are used to light gauge strings, this won't be a problem.

As for the mwah... I'm pretty satisfied. Thanks! TIs are very midrangey and sings a lot. And thump too!

Go for them! ;)

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I use TI Jazz Flats on my fretless Pedulla ThunderBolt 5. Gobs of mwah, but I'm sure the bass is responsible for a lot of that. Good sustain, except the B string, which is a .136, and a bit thumpy. The strings are a bit floppier than others, but they do sound better than the Fenders and Lakland J.O.'s I've used. Great strings. I won't use anything else on the Pedulla.

[​IMG]

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Thanks for your help guys :)

7. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Update...

Shortly after reading your advice, I ordered a set of TI-Jazz flats, and they've been on nearly 3 weeks now, and they really sound great! At first they were a bit bright (being new strings), but now that I've broken them in somewhat (read: beaten the crap out of them), and they're getting to be just the sound I was looking for!

Thanks once again for the advice guys :)

8. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hey, quick question...what color are the wrappings on the strings?

9. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Red.

(Jazz Rounds are green and Powerbass are purple.)

10. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL