Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thomastik-Infeld worship

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by pc, Jul 12, 2002.

1. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    Yesterday a friend of mine arrived from Atlanta and brought me a package with a set of JF344 to my squier fretless and an EMG combo (two 40DC + BQC, which will be reviewed soon on the respective forum :D ). It was about 2:00am when I finished the p/u installation and I decided to put those austrian slicks on the fretless...

:eek: WOW!

I've been reading a lot of positive reviews about them, and I have to agree with all of them, these strings are amazing. My first impressions:

- I played them for only 20 minutes (it was 2:00am, mkay? :D ), but could hear a lot of textures and colours I'm not used to from other flats

- It was strung with Fender 7150s pure nickels (40-95), so I couldn't find the characteristic mwah from the rounds, but actually, I didn't missed it at all :) :)

- I got a lot of response from my touch, a kind of "piezo response". I never got this from the other flats I played.

- I didn't feel them floppy at all... Ok, I play light strings, but see no difference from the 40-95 7150s.

- They even slapped pretty well.

Happy Happy Joy Joy!!!

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Glad you dig the strings. I've restrung everything in my arsenal with a variety of TI strings. They are all amazing. I really don't ever see myself trying out different brands.

Your Jazz Flats will mellow a little in a couple of weeks, depending on wear, but they will still sound alive (for lack of a better word :D).

Another convert! Whoo Hoo!

3. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    What's a good roundwound TI string for slapping. I want something that stays relatively bright for a while. I really like my TI jazz flats on my fretless but I'm getting a fretted bass pretty soon and I thought I should do some string research.

4. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Try the Powerbass strings.

5. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I 2nd that. Powerbass strings even make my Jack Casady sound good slapped....

6. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
  7. Another vote for Powerbass if you want rounds! :)

The Dude has always been my source for TI strings.

8. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Mine, too. Try 'em, you'll like 'em. And, the Dude is the best string dealer on the 'net. The only guy who has a realistic shipping charge, too!

9. I run TI Flats on my P... perfect. Also have PowerBass for my RB5 so it can sound like a real J and no longer try to emulate a P. (This is why I finally bought the P).

I have both a set of TI Flats and DA Chromes for my MIM J fretless, and I am forced to install one of them. The fretless currently has DA EXL220 installed and it mwahs for days. And.. the rounds are chewing up the rosewood finger board after only 5 gigs.

10. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    T-I Worship
    Another vote for the Powerbass for slappage. I think I'll be able to chalk up another convert soon. Keep us posted...

I gotta say it again: Thanks for the support, folks. I'm am so glad y'all are diggin our strings!

It looks like some new products will happen soon. I am hoping for a winter NAMM launch of a signature set as well as 36" scale JF's, JR's and Powerbass series strings. Those of you who may have received prototypes in the aforementioned series', please keep a lid on your critiques until after the coming NAMM show this weekend... Thanks!

Best regards,
    Kevin Reynolds
    Connolly & Co.
    Exclusive US Importers of Thomastik-Infeld Strings
    1-800-644-5268

11. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I just love TI Powerbass on My Stingray5 they are the best strings that I have ever used . I am going to put a set on My G&L L-2000 . Hey Thomguy I am
    Towns over from E.Nothport in Kings Park .

12. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    TI Powerbass sound great on a G&L L2000.
    I have them on both my L2000s.

-KB

13. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Do they make strings for 35' scale basses? I have really wanted to get thom TI strings.. but now that I have a 35' scale bass... i am scared they won't fit.. will 34' work?

14. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    In many cases the 34" 5 string sets do indeed fit on 35" scale basses but not all. They are working on extra long 5 string sets now but they're not yet available. What bass do you own and does it string through the body or topload?

15. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    Here's some length info:

To be absolutely sure that the Thom's will fit, you'll need to measure from where the ball anchors, up to the nut on your bass. From there you can tell if they'll fit based on the following measurements. Here are the measurements of all of the 34" scale strings: (The JR's are almost identical in length)

Total overall length:

C= 47.88"
    G= 47.38"
    D= 47.88"
    A= 48.00"
    E= 49.88"
    B= 48.38"

From the ball end to the start of the silk wrap at peg head end (vibrating length)

C=37.26""
    G=37.63"
    D=37.38"
    A=37.50"
    E=37.75"
    B=36.88"

There's about 3/4 of an inch of silk at the ball end and over a foot of silk wrap at the top. In a pinch, you can shave off about 3/4" to 1" of silk at the top before the first taper starts.

Add approx. 2 inches to the vibrating length regarding the 36" scale set and minus 2 inches to for the 32" scale set. Of course currently those SKU's are only available in 4 string sets. (not counting the prototypes) If you're asking about the Powerbass series, they are almost the same as well, so if it's really close, let me know and i'll post some exact measurements on the Powerbass strings.

I hope this helps. Feel free to call or email directly for further clarification or of course, post here.

Best regards,
    Kevin Reynolds
    Connolly & Co.
    Exclusive Importers of Thomastik-Infeld Strings
    1-800-644-5268
    kevinr@connollyandco.com

16. The Dude is my supplier too, even though I live at the bottom of the world, he is great to deal with, and his service is tops.

17. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    "Hey Thomguy I am Towns over from E.Nothport in Kings Park."

Cool, Harpo! I didn't know that. We're right by the Northport train staion. BTW, what's your current source for your T-I's, homeboy?

18. What TI flat do any of you fine bassmen recommed for my brand new Lakland Bob Glaub P-Bass?

19. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
  20. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    Cool, Harpo! I didn't know that. We're right by the Northport train staion. BTW, what's your current source for your T-I's, homeboy? [/B][/QUOTE]

I picked the my last set Of T-I's over at Sam Ash in NJ. But I can't seem to find them on the Island
    or in NYC I will have to drop The Dude a line .
    I was over in E. Northport the last Sat at the Rockabilly Barber . And I have dinner sometimes at the Crossroads right by the Northport Station great food !