Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thomastik-Infeld....

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by anubis101, Jul 12, 2001.

1. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    are these worth the money? i just ordered some
    thomastik-infeld magnecore roundwound hexcore 4 string medium lights. are they worth it?

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    It sounds like you're describing the "Power Bass" strings, right? I haven't tried them, but I've only heard good things about them. TI makes high-quality stuff. I've used their Jazz flats, which are very nice.

3. jimclark68

jimclark68

Dec 16, 2000
    Morganton, NC
    Their Jazz Flats are great. But they are very low tension, so it's definitely a different feel and sound. Not sure about the Power Bass strings, but you can go to the T-I website and compare the tensions. I believe it's www.thomastikinfeld.com

4. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I use their Jazz roundwounds religiously... never tried the Power Bass though...

5. I'm still using a 4 string set of the Power Bass Strings on my Fender Jazz fretless and I really like them. They've lasted a very long time now (4 months at least) and still have some nice snap to them. They feel really nice under the fingers too. I also had a five string set on my old 5 string bass, and they lasted a really long time too. They were more expensive than the average set of strings though, but I thought they were worth it.

6. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    to all of you who responded...thanks alot!!

7. I love their Nylon Acousticore Acoustic bass strings. Only problem is they don't last that long, and wear out quickly which really sucks!

8. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    The nylon cores wore out quickly for you? In what way, did they go dead, or they didn't stand up physically? I've found that they stretch out a lot and keep strtetching as you play and tune them. I'm using them on a solidbody, which might account for this...

9. kezekiel

kezekiel

Sep 24, 2000
    I have a set of these on my Rick Turner, and I think that, like bronzewounds on an acoustic, they seem to degrade from exposure to finger oils faster than regular strings.

Having said that, they're not exactly "dead" either. That "brand new" sound on Acousticores fades very rapidly, but that's actually desireable in my opinion. Gets rid of that brassy tone.