Thomastik Jazz Flats vs PowerBass Magnecore on a P-Bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bgavin, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Anybody have experience with both these strings on their P-Bass?

I'm curious about the difference in tone.
  2. extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    I've tried TI flats on a couple different P's and liked 'em, except when I dug in they'd click too much; maybe it's just me as alot of guys swear by these strings for P's. I switched them to my fretless jazz and they'll be there for years!

I have not tried the TI Powerbass strings, but they are basically nickel-plated are DR Sunbeams, which are easily my favorite strings on my P. If I were you, I'd be tempted to try the Powerbass strings on the P before pulling the flats off of your RB5. You may like 'em and you may not; just don't be afraid to roll back the tone knob a little and leave 'em on for a couple weeks so they get broken in a little. They should give you some serious punch (as opposed to the 'thump' of the TI flats).
  3. I've got the stock Fender 7250ML on the P right now and TI Jazz Flats on my RB5. The PowerBass are still new in the box, uninstalled.

I was thinking about putting the PowerBass back on the RB5 and putting it back into service as a vintage-J tone. The Jazz Flats would go onto the P for that traditional big thump tone.
  4. I have the Jazz Flats on my fretless P. They have a nice warm growl (on fretless).
  5. I'm going to move the Jazz Flats off my RB5 and put them on the p-bass as BEAD stringing. I figure a P-bass + Flats is the natural combination.

The RB5 will get the new set of PowerBass rounds, and go back into service as a hotrod Jazz bass. I have a J-Retro preamp for the RB5 also.
  6. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Bruce...let me know how using the TI's tuned BEAD works out for you but I think string tension will be too low to do this with the TI's.