1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thomastik Jazz Flats vs PowerBass Magnecore on a P-Bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bgavin, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Anybody have experience with both these strings on their P-Bass?

I'm curious about the difference in tone.

2. extreme

extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    I've tried TI flats on a couple different P's and liked 'em, except when I dug in they'd click too much; maybe it's just me as alot of guys swear by these strings for P's. I switched them to my fretless jazz and they'll be there for years!

I have not tried the TI Powerbass strings, but they are basically nickel-plated rounds...so are DR Sunbeams, which are easily my favorite strings on my P. If I were you, I'd be tempted to try the Powerbass strings on the P before pulling the flats off of your RB5. You may like 'em and you may not; just don't be afraid to roll back the tone knob a little and leave 'em on for a couple weeks so they get broken in a little. They should give you some serious punch (as opposed to the 'thump' of the TI flats).

3. I've got the stock Fender 7250ML on the P right now and TI Jazz Flats on my RB5. The PowerBass are still new in the box, uninstalled.

I was thinking about putting the PowerBass back on the RB5 and putting it back into service as a vintage-J tone. The Jazz Flats would go onto the P for that traditional big thump tone.

4. I have the Jazz Flats on my fretless P. They have a nice warm growl (on fretless).

5. I'm going to move the Jazz Flats off my RB5 and put them on the p-bass as BEAD stringing. I figure a P-bass + Flats is the natural combination.

The RB5 will get the new set of PowerBass rounds, and go back into service as a hotrod Jazz bass. I have a J-Retro preamp for the RB5 also.

6. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Bruce...let me know how using the TI's tuned BEAD works out for you but I think string tension will be too low to do this with the TI's.