1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thomastik Jazz strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by phangtonpower, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Last night I ordered a set to use on my Jazz bass on a Japanese website (I live here :p). On the website it said that they are for 34" long scale bass with .106-.043 gauges, but on most English sites say that size gauge is only made for 32" scale basses.

So I have a few questions. First do they make that gauge for 34" scale? If they do, how is the tension on that size gauge since I've read that ti's are pretty low tension. If they don't make them, will the 32" scale fit ok on my Jazz and how is the tension compared to the 34" scale strings? Last question, I've read that if you don't set them up properly they can unravel. What's the best way for setting them up.

Japanese return policy is pretty crappy, so I may be stuck with them :/

Edit: Here's the website I ordered them from. It's listed as .106, but the picture has the standard .100 gauge set.
    http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/auc-gakki-manmandou/item/jf344/#googtrans/ja/en

2. Thomastik-Infeld

You can look up the strings there on the site to get specifics. At a quick glance, it looked to me like the Jazz strings are for 32" scale.

3. Yeah I've been on their site, so I guess since it seems they don't make those strings, will the 32" scale fit a 34" scale? And since they are thicker gauge, how will the tension feel.
    Japanese return policy is really ****** and I probably wont be able to return them if I try them on.

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Well, the part number on that link is JR344 which is the 34" scale instrument strings.

Their specific string information looks like they were just going through the catalog and copied over the string specifics from the JR324 set and just changed the part number in the description. Very common mistake. But they probably figured the strings are the same between scale length like most other string companies. Plus T-I's catalog is not exactly the easiest to follow.

You should be fine... If not, you wont have any problem selling them.

5. Thanks SLaPinFuNK!!
    I actually sent you guys an email about labellas strings. I really want a little higher tension, so I think the TI's may not be for me.

6. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    LaBalla has a wide variety of gauges available. The T-I's are in a totally different category of string IMHO than standard flatwounds. They are in a world of their own and it is pretty cool. I agree I prefer a little more tension to my strings though.

I sent you a PM by the way...

7. Just to answer this question in case someone later searches for this info....TI makes all of their strings extra long to fit through body stringing. So a 34" scale string is long enough to string a 34" scale through body or a 35" scale through the bridge. If you wanted to string the 35" through the body you would need to go to the next size up. Likewise a 32" scale set would likely fit a 34" scale bass if you string through the bridge but it really isn't the best setup. I have done it before with the Jazz flats so that I could use the thicker gauge E string but at the end of the day it just didn't do it for me.

8. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    JR324's are 36" from Ball End to Silk
    JR344's are 37" from Ball End to Silk
    JR364's are 40" from Ball End to Silk

9. Thanks for everyone's help and especially SLaPiNFuNK. I really wanted to try out the TI's, but in the end I decided to go for the labella's because of the tension issue. Thankfully Japan is slow when it comes to do with the internet and hadn't confirmed the order after two days, so I'm just gonna cancel the order.