1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thomastik JR324 Jazz Roundwound on a Mustang bass (and short scale in general)?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Pier_, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Pier_

Pier_

Dec 22, 2013
    Roma, Italia
    here I am with another question about strings (not their lenght!)

I'm with this Mustang Bass Reissue, a '99 (P serial number, and a '98 stamped on the neck pocket) in Fiesta Red which looks like new (probably the owner never played it, because the frets are mint, and the strings on were the original Fender short with black silk).

as soon as it walked in my house, I strunged it with a set of Thomastik JF344 I've used for the past 4 years, because this bass seems to whisper me "flaaaaaats! flaaaats!" :smug:

however, this set is a bit dead (the D string even broke on the tuning post of a Precision, after many switches between basses, so I recycled it on the 30" Mustang), with the E string sounding too dull and dead (and with the harmonic at the 5th fret abit out of tune), and the G string shouting out too loud (even with the pickup lowered at it maximum).

I've tried to mount on it a .090 E string and a .070 A string from an old set of DR Hi Beam I've had (they were mounted on a bass with a 3+1 headstock and small tuning posts, so the other two strings can't reach the tuners) and liked the feeling and sustain, but not the scooped and harsh sound.

I've tried a set of Rotosound Jazz77 medium scale (40-50-75-90), but the G string couldn't intonate, the E string was too floppy and couldn't intonate in any way, and I didn't quite like the overall feeling.

on this bass I want to use light gauge strings, and I'd like to have a ilvely sound, like the one Thomastik flats give when new or slightly used, BUT yesterday I put a set of Thomastik Jazz Round JR344 on my main Precision bass, and really loved the tone and feeling! meaty and growly, light but punchy, not harsh and not muddy. I blame myself for not having tried it before on this bass!

here it is:

so now I'm wondering whether to try the JR324 set on the Mustang, but as always, being able to use this wonderful forum, I'm asking what you might think about this match.

except a topic about these strings on the Hofner basses, I couldn't find any other post talking about them, and being the gauge different from the 34" set, I don't know what to do!

if I'd listened to the answer I get about the Rotosound Jazz77, talking about the sloppy E string, I would have not bought them! :crying: so, someone tried the Jazz Roundwound short scale on a short scale bass?

SasquatchDude likes this.
  2. Pier_

Pier_

Dec 22, 2013
    Roma, Italia
    finally, I decided to buy them, because the shop I went today had them in stock (44 euros), and I wanted to try them. I've mounted them a few minutes ago, and I'll going to try them amplificated only tomorrow (in Italy now is 23:48 :p ), and capture a couple of samples.

however, they seem to sound pretty good, and they intonated perfectly. the tension good, similar to the JF344 mounted on this bass, even on the E strings that's lighter (.093 instead of .100).
    I thought that the D string, with the .056 would be too tight compared to .069 A and .042 G, but no, they are pretty well balanced, and I didn't have to change my setup, just correcting the intonation slightly. Thomastik knows how to make strings :p (the E didn't need any saddle movement).

the notes on the E string all sound well acoustically, balanced and clear, but tomorrow I'll know how they sound amplificated.

hope someone will find this topic useful :)

3. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Your "Piercision" clips sound very good. What was the signal chain?

4. Pier_

Pier_

Dec 22, 2013
    Roma, Italia
    thankyou :) just the bass directly in an M-audio M-track, and recorded with audacity wih anything added :)

5. Pier_

Pier_

Dec 22, 2013
    Roma, Italia
    here they are on the Mustang: Dropbox - Mustang Thomastik JR324.zip

I'm sorry for the hum, but I'm not at home, and I have only a cheap and old cable.

with the pick I've played hard on purpose, to show how they sound when hit hard.