Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thomastik Power Bass vs. Superalloy ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Does anyone have a comparitive review of these two strings. I can't seem to find any good comparisons on TB.

2. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I've used both. IME the timbre is very similar but the powerbass have zingier highs.

3. BuffaloBob4343

BuffaloBob4343 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I was just about to post a thread asking for input from people who have played the Powerbass strings.

I am thinking about stringing them on my Warwick Thumb 5. I want to mellow the highs just a bit from the Warwick Black Stainless that the bass shipped with, and get rid of the excessive finger noise.

But, I don't want to supress the natural brightness of the Ovangkol.

Also, do you think using TI-PBs on a 4 string Jazz would be blasphemous? I want my Modulus GVJ4 to be versatile as well.

4. Why would TI-PB's be a problem on a 4 string Jazz?
    Go for it!

5. BuffaloBob4343

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I don't know. I guess I have this impression that the common wisdom or old school approach is that flats are played on a Jazz Fretless. Otherwise it's like eating fish with red wine or red meat with a white for example.

This is my first Jazz and my first fretless, so I don't know entirely what to expect. I don't want to sound too old school, stand-up bass thumpy. I am shooting for a smooth but modern sound. I want to cut through the mix but I want some warm mids in there to make the sound rich.

That's why I was thinking not steel but not flat. The PB's, from what I understand, are not too zingy, yet they have great output.

I think it will take some experimentation to figure out what sounds and feels good to me. Maybe I'll just buy about ten different sets of strings and AB them all until I get that perfect sound. Expensive and time consuming, but worth it.

6. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    You might want to try Daddario half wounds. They sound a lot like a RW string but with some thump and less finger noise and string click. I liked the TI PB and SA's alot but they both have a slight nasaly bump in the mids around 500-700hz. It helps with clarity and in a dense mix you can't here it but sometimes it gets annoying.

7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Well, common wisdom is often neither. Or at least, it's often right only some of the time, not all. I say go for the rounds if you like the sound. There are tons of fretless players who use or used roundwounds.

And I drink pinot noir with salmon all the time.;)

8. BuffaloBob4343

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Hey thanks basss.
    So how do you compare the D'Add halfwounds with the Chromes, which I think are actually ground stainless? I would assume the HW's are a bit mellower than the chromes.

9. BuffaloBob4343

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    How uncouth! LOL!

Anyway, very sound advice. Thanks!

10. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I've never tried the Chromes. I have tried TI Jazz Flats. The 1/2 rounds are a lot closer to round wounds in sound.

11. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    The Dude would tell you that the TI jazz rounds are the ideal strings for fretless. I myself use the superalloys on my SR5 and I am not really sure how I feel about them. I don't hate them, but its my first fretless, so I am wanting to try others.

12. BuffaloBob4343

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Sounds like you don't exactly love them either! This is my first fretless as well, so I am in the same boat.

13. BuffaloBob4343

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    The half rounds are definitely interesting.

14. so......... um, back to the origional question, i'm getting that the SA are less bright then the PB's... thats pretty much it?
    does one have a more growly/grindy tone then the other?

15. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    The midrange growl is comparable. The PB's have more of that high end mike dirnt punker garage band dude growl if thats your cupa tea - although they are still more mellow in that area than other brands.

16. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004

I use roundwounds on my fretless. If you want that Jaco "mwah" sound, you need roundwounds. I use D'Addario XL's. They are bright, but not too zingy. Good mids too.

As far as "old school"... Fender never made a fretless Jazz Bass. People always pulled the frets out! In general everyone used flats, because that's about all there was then I started playing bass (in 1969).