1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thomastik Vision? Rumor

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Charlie Nilles, May 3, 2006.

1. Here's some crazy gossip....about strings????
    Anyway, the Vienna philharmonic was here a few weeks ago (they rocked, btw) and the whole violin section was playing these new thomastik "vision" strings that they all loved. I did some research (Google) and saw info about a composite core and titanium. Now here's the rumor that I HEARD: Thomastik is making a bass line of these strings that are supposedly going to be the best thing in bass strings: Sustain for days, amazing true tone, pin point bow response, etc. Anyone know anything about this?

2. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    sorry but sustain for days doesn't sound like the best thing in strings for me :D
    it all depends on what someone is looking for......i have not heard about these strings though.
    a thomastik rep has posted in some other threads here, maybe he'll shed some light on this for us.

3. Istar

Istar

Apr 5, 2005
    Antwerp, Belgium
    MMHhh I e-mailed Thomastiek some weeks ago and regarding some stings And in the reply I got they did indeed said they where going to get some new orchestra type strings in a couple of months. Guess these must be it.

4. Before the rumor mill gets crankin', I can tell you we are definitely brewing up something new. More details soon... :ninja:

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Tease.

6. Istar

Istar

Apr 5, 2005
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Can you tell us how soon ?? :confused:

7. vier-personen

vier-personen

Apr 10, 2006
    Here is what I heard: I know bassplayers who were involved in the "beta-testing" of these new strings and all seem to love them, one player even told me to wait with buying new strings until they are released! I didnĀ“t have the chance yet to try them, but they seem to be the solution for arco and picc.
    Hey ThomastikMike, is there a date when these strings will be available in stores in europe?

8. vier-personen

vier-personen

Apr 10, 2006
    Oh, I just went to the thomasti website, and there they are!

9. I checked the thomastik site and it looks like the vision is a wound synthetic core string for violin. Maybe there will also be a bass version in the future?

What really surprised me was that Charlie Haden is a Spirocore artist. If there are one player that is a dedicated gut player, I would say that it is Charlie! Does anyone here know if he really has made the switch to steel?

/TD

10. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    We got a sample set for feedback. They are on a Hybrid bass in our showroom right now, if you want to stop in and give them a go.

*edit* - Just noticed you guys are in Stockholm, Central Europe, Netherlands, Maui, etc. so maybe a stop in is not to convenient! Invitation is still there though ;)

11. Istar

Istar

Apr 5, 2005
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Lol,

If I happen to be in the neighbourhood I sure will

And not only for the strings :p

12. Jeff Guevin

Jeff Guevin I know you love me like cooked food.

Nov 6, 2005
    Binghamton, NY
    Eric, any impressions? I'm days away from a string purchase, but a flight out to your shop might make a string set a little too costly.

13. vier-personen

vier-personen

Apr 10, 2006
    right, violin strings. but the bass versions will come soon, I hope?

Charlie Haden:he plays spirocore on E & A, and gut on D & G
    here is a link to the bassplayer article:
    http://www.bassplayer.com/story.asp?sectioncode=21&storycode=14523

14. I should chime in here before the rumors really start cooking and wrong information starts spreading.

The new bass string is going to be called "Belcanto". It will be a steel core string, not a synthetic core as the Vision family of strings are.

That's about as specific as I can get right now.

15. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    It's just marketing. He plays gut.

16. will they be like the 'cello BELCANTO strings?
    Look Here
    The new string concept for Cello is based on a modern sound. a and d string have a steelcore, G and C string have a rope core. The C string has a tungsten layer to beef up the volume. There are two sets available: BELCANTO, which is a bright, clear, optimal balanced sounding set and BELCANTO GOLD, which is transparent, rich and warm in timbre. The individual string tensions in both sets are harmonized to allow combinations of strings to finetune the instrument. The strings have excellent response and stay in tune very quickly. A nice feature about BELCANTO GOLD is the fact that the strings are 100 % nickelfree and therefor suitable for players having problems with alergic reactions.

17. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    How long till these Belcanto Bass strings are out there? Any other info on what these strings will be like yet?

Eroy,
    what is the gage of these like? Tension? Sound?

18. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    Dunno if I should be commenting on a beta string set we were given in confidence (especially since I did not return a certain phone call today) (Sorry Mike...very busy...far easier to play tag via eMail ;) )....we evaluated it without all the details, kinda blind...but formed more opinions after we gave our first impressions.

Belcanto is a great cello string...cellists like them (I liked the Belcanto Gold set, almost as much as a Spiro tung G&C with a larsen A&D...they would make a shoe box sound like a Strad...but that is crazy cello talk)...pricey...

19. AFAIK Charlie has for a long time had Spiro Orch E and A with Golden Spiral D and G (gut core and not currently available).

20. Ah, right. Thanks!