Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thomastiks! I've been converted!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by oddentity, Dec 14, 2000.

1. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Just wanted to let you all in on my joy here... I put a set of Thomastik Jazz roundwounds on my MIM Fender Jazz last night -- holy cow! After some setup tweaks, I have to say that I am completely impressed. The strings are light gauge and really easy to play, but they seem to have output comparable to heavy-gauge strings. And the growl is unbelieveable! THIS is the tone I have been seeking, after trying many other brands (D'Addario, DR, Elixir, Rotosound). Many thanks to Herm for furnishing me with said strings!

Next I'll be trying the T-I flats when I get my fretless...

2. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I have the jazz flats and they sound great and are fun to play.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yeah, I LOVE 'em on my '97 AmDlxJazz Fretless. They feel like no other string and sing like a bird.

4. Glad they worked out for you!

Herm

5. I bought a set of tomasik flats today (after hearing all the hype I had to try) and I must say... I am impressed! They are definitely easy on the playability and have a great sound!

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - the Thomastik strings are the only ones that I've heard consistently good reports on, that I haven't tried yet - no shops in the UK stock them. So I have taken the plunge and ordered a 5-string set of Nickel Round wounds, which are quite a lot narrower (lighter) gauge than my usual set of D'Addario Slowounds - I will post a comparison when I get the set - I ordered from SheetMusicPlus and as it's near Xmas, it will probably take a few weeks for them to get from the US to the UK.

7. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    I guess the thing that put me over the top with the TI flats was that they were loud (for a light guage) and they FEEL incredible!!
    Easily the coolest"new-fangled" thing I've found for basso de fuego

8. i guess i noticed the volume too... i actually had to turn down my power about a 1/4 of a turn because it was a bit too loud!

9. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I like the Jazz Flats. I seem to have a bad E string, so I called the U.S. distributor and they told me that if I send it to them, they'll replace it. Not bad for strings that are several months old. It'll be interesting to see how it sounds when I get it. I'm currently using the A, D, and G with an E from a set of Chromes, and the A, D, and G sound great. The E sounds kinda dead next to the Thoms, but it works for now.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Well I finally got the chance to change my strings a few days ago, so I swapped the D'Addario Slowounds for a JR345 set of Thomastiks. So here is my comparison (both are nickel roundwounds).

First impressions are that the Thomastiks look less substantial and less well-finshed than the Slowounds. They have flimsier wraps which are fraying more and when I trimmed the ends (had to as they were slightly too long to fit) they split a bit.

Second problem was that the Thomastiks were difficult to get in tune - they kept slipping, whereas the Slowounds tend to be very stable right out of the bag. After a couple of days, they are still slipping and have lost almost a semitone according to my tuner. Whereas, the same bass with Slowounds stays perfectly stable from the start.

I had to adjust the action a bit to stop rattling, but it seems to be OK now - I actually think the action is better now and more playable with the Thomastiks - maybe because they are slightly narrower gauge. The specs made me think it would be a big difference, but it's not in practice, although it is noticable as an improvement.

Well now I suppose I have to come to the most important thing which is how they sound and for me this is the biggest disappointment so far. I just don't like how the bass sounds now! I can get close to my desired tone with effort, but not exactly what I want. I may need to let the strings "settle in" for a bit longer - I had the last set of Slowounds on for quite a few months, so maybe the contrast isn't a fair comparison.

My view now though is that the D'Addario Slowounds win out on almost every area that is important to me and are still my favourites. The Thomastiks are defintely very usable and better than say Fenders, Rotosound or Elites IMO; but just not as goodas D'Addario. I will give the Thomastiks a bit longer to prove themsleves and a few gigs before I decide whether to go back to Slowounds, but at the moment I am definitely with the D'Addarios - I'll update if I change my mind.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Played over the weekend - gigs etc - with the Thomastiks and still think I prefer the Slowounds. The Thomastiks are more abrasive on my fingers than the Slowounds I also noticed. But I do like the gauges of this set better, so maybe it hasn't been a waste of time! Now I wonder if I can get Slowounds in the same gauges as the Thomastik set??

12. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Bruce, what are the gauges on the Thomastiks? Just strings has single Slowounds for sale. The gauges are only in multiples of 5 though, .045, .050 etc. So if the Thoms have odd gauges like .047 or something you'll probably be out of luck.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Well the set I got was .043,.051,.068,.089 and .118 ; so they are "odd", but I suppose I could get close, like: .045, .050, .070, .090 and .120.

I may well try this and will have a look around at websites - thanks for the tip!

14. Bruce Lindfield

I just looked at juststrings.com and while the single slowounds mostly go up by .05, there is a big jump from .110 to .130. So there is no chance of getting anything like the .118 B string on the Thomastik set, which is one of the few things I really like about it - the narrower B string is just right but not too light. The Slowound B at .130 feels disproportionately large to me.

15. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Bruce, I just looked at the juststrings.com website too. I see the gauge difference with the Slowounds. The XL's come in a .120 gauge that is tapered. I remember in a previous thread that you said you've never tried D'addario XL. I just thought I'd mention this to you.