1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

THomastiks with more oomph

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Selim, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    what flatwound has the rich tone and playability of Thomastik flats but has more girth?

Loving the rich mid tone and they record really well. But I miss the weight down low and reaching for the bass knob doesn’t cut it for me. Even just a little more girth would do it. Maybe it can’t be had from those string gauges.

I’ve played black 105 Sadowskys and 105 and 109 Labellas extensively over the years, and briefly GHS 55-105 flats.

This is for a ‘66 P bass.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

2. No personal experience with them, but based on what I've been reading, the new Sadowsky Blue Label Flats might fit the bill.

3. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Still the discontinued Sadow black flat has more low Mid vioce compare to Ti flat. You could try fender 9050(better present low mid than Ti but less hi mid than Sadow black once settle in ) or EB cobalt flat(growl tone).

Hopehelp

Selim likes this.
  4. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Selim my favorite flats are sadowsky blacks, labella 760-FL and TIs. I have conversations with myself constantly about which of these is the clear leader in all my needs. I hate changing strings because I know as soon as I do, I will miss the top quality of the strings I just removed. These strings are all great in their own ways. So picking a clear leader is hard.

Another aspect I have to keep reminding myself is the string may sound one way from my perspective and position on stage....but completely different in the FOH mix. So I now try to focus on the best tone from the FOH perspective.

I truly love the feel and authority of the Labellas. I love the midrange of the TIs and how that translates to FOH. The Sadowskys have a touch less authority in the initial attack than the Labellas...the TIs dont have much initial attack, which I’m guessing you mean by “girth”. But the TIs translate so clearly and cut through a busy mix....a little bit better than the Labellas or Sadowskys.

For my purposes currently, the TIs do a great job on my 66 P. But if I switch to either the Sadowsky or Labella, I can still be a happy camper.

I really dont think youll find a flat with a lot more girth than the TIs but with the same level of sweetness and expressiveness in the mids as TIs. Sadowskys as Yahboy says have decent attack and nice mids but not mids like TI. Some folks here have said something to the effect of the Sadowsky blacks are not the pinnacle of any single quality, but that they cover most of the qualities needed in an oustanding way...moreso than other flats. I tend to agree, even though I’m going through another TI phase currently. I may switch back to the Sads or Labs soon though!

Selim likes this.
  5. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Yeah - another mention for Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats. I like 'em.
    Unless you need a 6-string set - EB can't figure out how to make a 0.030" C string...

barrybass33 likes this.
  6. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    Sadowsky blacks have been my main strings for years. Do the light gauge Labellas come anywhere’s close to the unique tone of the Thomastiks?

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Dunlops are getting it for me.

8. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    You mean Dunlops something close to the unique tone and clarity of TIs but with more bottom?

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Wouldn't call them an exact match, but they do have a unique tone and clarity with more bottom :D

Selim likes this.
  10. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    I would say for tone and feel Cobalt Flats I have no experience with Dunlop Flats so may have to try them. But the LaBellas are much higher tension than the Ti's or the Cobalt Flats. Tension wise the cobalts have a little tighter feel but not a lot But unlike the TI's They growl.

Selim likes this.