Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thomastiks

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dharma, Nov 26, 2005.

1. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    A friend of mine who worked in hell (GC in Denver) told me that Thomastik strings (which when I search around for, I find mostly violin strings) are the absolutely shiznit-o-ban snip-snack-sack.

Any thoughts?

I use DR Black Beauties on my Stiletto, but am always open to different tone.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Eh, I thought they sucked myself, but the people who like them love them to such a degree that I think they'd have sex with them if they could figure out how.

3. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Here's my take on this, having used TI jazz flats myself;

I would consider them a good quality string. The the price they cost, they'd better be IMHO.

Are they the "best sounding" string? Thats purely subjective. I do like the TI flats. However, my experience is that while they record nicely, I found them lacking a bit of punch in a live situation. Fender light guage flats, and D'addario chromes seem to be better in this regard IME.

I've personally switched back to rounds. I was using D'addarios, but after what seems to be another bad experience with them, I've gone to Fender. 7250's for the Precision,7150's for the fretless jazz. They play and sound nice, have a good punch in a live situation, and are inexpensive. Haven't broken one yet either-can't say that about D'addario lately. But thats another thread.

So in a nutshell, while the Thomastik's are good quality strings, IMHO you can do just as well with something less expensive. Just a matter of trying, and seeing what you like.

4. I prefer D'add Chromes but the TI's are great strings,
    especially if you want low tension.

I did experience a problem w/the TI's that a few others
    have reported . . . I could not provide enough neck relief
    even after significant truss rod adjustments (and tuning a
    step higher and letting it sit for a couple days).

I also liked Labellas but gave them up after a couple sets
    b/c of quality issues.

5. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    There is probably a TI set that you would dig, depending on what your target is for a tone. They make more than just Jazz Flats. Their Powerbass Rounds are most similar to a "rock" string. I have never been inclined to have sex with a bass string, but FWIW I don't think the reaction is any different than it is for any other piece of gear that does what you like. TI's arent the only strings I use, but they could be.

I guess I'm saying that if you like them, then they are pretty much as good as it gets. They last, they stay in tune, they sound good. But if you want a really bright stainless sound then you should buy three sets of something else for the same bread because even the brightest TIs won't stay that way for long.

Not trying to start anything, but it is weird that your friend from GC speaks so highly of a brand that GC dropped because they couldn't get them cheaply enough.

6. I have TI Jazz Flats on a Jazz bass and find them:

Smooth
    More toneful than most flats
    Due to the lower tension, when plucking fast I have to pluck nearer the bridge.
    Long lasting which more than makes up for the cost difference in longivity.
    Can get sort of a URB sound when plucking near the neck.
    I have tried other strings and found that I prefer higher tension for fast plucking but the tonal palet I get from the TI's more than makes up for it.

7. I made a recording of my TI Flats in 2000 or thereabouts, when they were new on my bass. I came back in late 2005 and made another recording.

The aging process on the TI Flats is subtle when you play, but much more obvious when comparing recordings. After they age, mine are very "woody" sounding, in the extreme. I figure a set of ancient TI Flats (mine are 5 years old) are just perfect on a fretless P, to get that upright sound.

8. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    hudson valley
    Im a big fan--I think they're quite distinctive vs. most strings.

9. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I use their SuperAlloy stirngs on most of my basses, TI flats on my fretless, and Powerbass on my 6 string Brice, so I guess you could say I'm a fan. They sound great and last a long time.

10. I as well have a set of flats on my fretless jazz, and I love them to death because they can be buttery smooth with lots of reggae flavor, or they can be more agressive (though this is due in part to the whoopass set of SD Antiquity II pickups I've got it it). The smooth feel is absolutely teriffic, you forget the strings are even there. And the tension, well, I've got the action set high and they feel incredible. Tons and absolutely tones of tone and the coveted mawh.

11. HotRatz

HotRatz Guest

Mar 13, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Along the path of the Quest for Tone, I've used the TI Jazz Flats, the Jazz Rounds, and the Powerbass.

The nice thing about the TI jazz strings to me is the musicality - very clear fundamental tone with controlled overtones. they play clean and are nice for chording. The flats are round and thumpy, warm strings. The jazz are really interesting in the midrange, they have a sound that seems to be all their own. Both of these sets are very light, but have nonstandard guaging and feel balanced, just...light. Which also means they're sensitive to nuance.

The powerbass were my least favorite. Very loud strings (big fat cores), but also IMO very much a rock string and not much else. Big and fat but not refined enough to be interesting, I thought. Tons of fundamental cajones. Maybe good for a Stingray, but not a good match for my Thumb.

That said, I'm trying right now a custom-guage set of DRs, but think I'm gravitating back to the D'addario ProSteels. Love that clarity in the PS's......though there's a fine line b/w clarity and clank.