1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thompson Hybrid

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Chuck M, Sep 11, 2019 at 12:44 PM.

1. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I have recently been playing quite a few traditional jazz gigs and have been wanting to set up a bass with strings more suitable for that style of music. My basses are set up with Spirocores and have a more modern vibe than I was wanting for the trad gigs.

I did some shopping around and found a guy with a new condition Thompson hybrid close by. I went last night and tried the bass out and was surprised by how good it sounded and the very great set up that had been done on it. The bass has Spirocores on it and sounds very good....really close to my fully carved Wilfer. I bought it for a fair price.

I decided to leave the Thompson as it is and this morning I put a set of Jargar strings on my Upton Standard laminated bass. Quite a change in tone from the Spiros. It sounds much darker and has the thump I was looking for. I will try it on my gig tonight and see how it goes.

Meanwhile, I am very impressed with the Thompson and the set up it received at String Emporium. I'm appreciating the great tone and feel of the bass. Quite nice for what they sell for.

lurk, Uncorked, Fretless55 and 2 others like this.
  2. I’ve been very happy with my Thompson RM 200 I bought new from String Emporium last April.

At their price point I think they represent unequaled value for money.

3. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    That's for sure! I think of Jargar as arco strings.

4. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I played a Trad jazz gig tonight with the Upton with the Jargar strings and it sounded great. My band mates liked the tone I was getting. They feel a bit stiff compared to the Spirocores but I'll get used to it.

AGCurry likes this.