Thompson Mail Order or Engelhardt

Discussion in 'Ask Patrick Neher [Archive]' started by floving, Aug 13, 2009.

1. floving

floving

Apr 4, 2009
    I am a electric to upright beginner and am looking to spend under $2K on a new plywood bass. I live 100 miles from Fretwell Bass and could go there to buy a new Engelhardt EG9 in person with upgraded bridge, set up and soundpost or have the String Emporium ship me a new Thompson RM100 with realist pickup, case and bow for the same price. Which way should I go?

2. PNeher

PNeher

Mar 31, 2005
    Bellingham, WA
    String Emporium (Stephen Koscica) does a great job. You'll be getting your money's worth. However, it is ALWAYS BEST to play an instrument before you buy it. See if you can "trial" any instrument in familiar places (home, school, the club) BEFORE you shell out the scratch. Be aware, MANY basses (upright) are hard to unload if they originally cost under $5k.... but the quality from China is getting better and perhaps low-cost instruments are eventually going to appreciate in value... doubtful. Best of luck to you!
    PN

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021