1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thompson RM-200 Hybrid from String Emporium

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by markcr, Feb 10, 2020.

1. markcr

markcr

Jun 30, 2016
    I wanted to follow up on my previous post asking about whether to buy a Shen SB-88 laminate or a Thompson RM-200 hybrid. After considerable deliberation, I purchased the RM-200. The bass arrived exactly as described and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. For slightly over $2k, I have a hybrid that just sings with tone. It's really punchy sounding and no matter where I play on the neck, the notes sustain a long time. My wife and daughter both commented on how good it sounded and my daughter even said she liked the way it "rumbled the floor". The action was set up perfectly by Steve's shop and I was able to play it for several hours last night with no pain whatsoever - and I'm brand new to the double bass. What a great deal on a great bass! I'm not affiliated in any way with String Emporium but I have to give credit where credit is due. Steve answered a million newby questions I had, was completely straight up with what I was getting, how it should be set up, strings, pickup, etc. He even sent me pics of the bass while it was on the bench being set up. The customer service was outstanding. If anyone is looking to buy a bass, especially someone buying their first instrument, I highly recommend talking to Steve at String Emporium. I'll upload some photos soon!

2. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    Congratulations on the new bass. Have fun.

3. markcr

markcr

Jun 30, 2016
    Here are some pics. I should know better than to put a light source "behind" the subject. Oh well. Better pics coming soon... :)

Attached Files:

4. Told ya!

I’m very happy for you and your new adventures!

( them RM200s are pretty impressive for the scratch ain’t they?)

5. markcr

markcr

Jun 30, 2016
    Frettless55, your earlier post sealed the deal for me! When I saw your bass, I just had to have one of my own. Amazing bass for the money. Actually, I'd be willing to bet it would hold it's own up against much more expensive basses. I can't stop playing mine. Everything you said about the RM200 was true. I've been grinning ear to ear ever since I picked it up.

Fretless55 likes this.
  6. ... oh and, good luck TB pedagogy questions...

7. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
    Here's a clear photo of my new RM-200. After 3-4 months of long bowing it's really opening up, much louder too. No regrets!

Thompson RM-200 on stand.JPG

8. markcr

markcr

Jun 30, 2016
    Nice bass, Ukiah! We should all start an RM-200 owners thread. Are you in the town of Ukiah, CA by chance?

9. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
    Yes, how did you guess? ;)

10. markcr

markcr

Jun 30, 2016
    That's cool. I'm in Windsor and am up in Ukiah a couple times a month. Had to ask. :)

11. Good move.

Michael Drost and markcr like this.
  12. powerbass

powerbass

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    I have a RM200 as well.

13. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Congrats!!! Beautiful!!!

Please, get a stand at least for in the house. Accidents happen.

14. powerbass

powerbass

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    My bass has violin corners whereas I see the newer RM200's have gamba corners.

15. birgebass

birgebass

Nov 7, 2011
    Arkansas
    A guy in town got one of these not too long ago and I sat in on it last weekend. I can only second what other folks have said about the setup on the bass. His still is setup the way it was when it arrived and I was very surprised with the projection the bass had. Spiros under evah mediums, I think. Anyway, I think these basses make excellent gigging instruments.

16. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    Actually, if you can find a windowless corner, that would be the most secure place you can put it. No stand needed. Just face the bridge INTO the corner, not away from it.

17. mjt0229

mjt0229 Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    This is what I do, too. I use a towel to cushion the place where the upper bouts touch the walls. As a guide for the angle of lean, I set the bass so its neck is as close to vertical as possible. I debated nailing or gluing a little wooden `V` to the floor for the endpin to rest against, but never actually did it.

I owned an Ingles stand for a while. It was okay, but I think the corner method is less hassle and even more secure. Also, my cats liked to chew on the foam and eventually there were some spots where I had to be careful not to set my bass.

KUNGfuSHERIFF and Lee Moses like this.
  18. When the foam on the Ingles inevitably goes bad because of outgassing or damage, it can be replaced with automotive radiator hose of appropriate diameter. That will last for the life of the stand.

But the corner is still the best and most stable storage solution, absent small children who like basses. AHEM.

19. markcr

markcr

Jun 30, 2016
    I picked up an Ingles stand for my RM-200. Works great. I really like the fact that you can adjust it to accommodate the end pin without having to collapse it every time. I'm still amazed at how good this bass sounds for such a great price. I'll post an audio clip when my intonation gets a bit better! :)

dhergert likes this.
  20. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    I'm probably the last person in the musical world to recommend getting an instrument stand -- I used to repair fretted instruments and instrument stands are the #1 cause of broken pegheads -- as such whenever we aren't playing them, we keep our fretted instruments in their cases at home and on stage.

But double basses are different -- their hardshell cases are costly and bulky, double basses are big and unbalanced from a gravity standpoint, and double basses are in the way most of the time, especially at home with children and pets running around.

I breathe a sigh of relief for you, your wonderful RM-200, and for your family.

Congrats again! ;)