1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thomstic hesitation

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by spong, Apr 28, 2009.

1. spong

spong

Nov 20, 2006
    Ashburn Virginia
    I remember buying a set of thomastics a few years ago and took them off almost immediately because I didn't like the tone.

However, because I live in Nigeria where you simply can't find bass strings anywhere, I ended up putting them back on as they are now the only newish strings I have left.

I am trying to find something that I like about them but the tone is very hard for me to get in too. I can't even use the bridge pickup any more as the tone is horribly shrill through it even with the tone backed almost right off.

Anyhow, I was wondering how long it takes for them to bed in and start to sound better as I am really not enjoying them at all right now. Also what are the benefits? I notice a lot less fret noise and I guess they will last for a long time but what is the point if you are not digging the tone?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Do you mean the flats or the rounds? The flats are bright for flats, but they are still less bright than most rounds IMO, and I've never heard them sound "shrill". Anyway while they will mellow a bit after some use, they are reputed to keep their tone a long, long time--years even. So if you don't like them now, I don't think you'll ever like them.

The only real benefit to them is if you happen to like the tone and the feel.

3. spong

spong

Nov 20, 2006
    Ashburn Virginia
    they are the flats. What I mean by shrill is that they make the bridge pup sound very harsh. Kind of like metal grinding against metal sort of thing. I guess the p bass pup sounds okay but the strings generally make the bass very non-versatile. I also play upright so I already have a flat wound Jazz sound with that and don't really need it for my electric bass.

Oh well I guess they can live in my gig bag as the perpetual backup strings.

4. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    Try lowering the bridge pup a bit. Remember, these are nickel, so if you're coming from a SS string, you might have a bit more output. They'll take about 3 weeks of solid playing to break in, and once they do, they settle into this "woody" sounding groove that lasts forever.

As for the brightness, yes it does wear off..... and to be honest, they are a lot less bright than DA Chromes, or the Fender Flats. I just put a set of 12 year old Fenders back on my MIA Jazz bass...... I can slap with those bad boys they're so bright. I can't do that when it's sporting TI JF's.

5. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Generally the reason people dont like TI flats is because of their low tension. It's obvious they are not for you. I'd say try the suggestion "ljazzz" made and if this does not work you could try selling or swopping them here on TB. I'm sure there would be a lot of takers for them here.

6. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    maybe,, but what's the shipping cost going to be from Nigeria ? :eek:

( you might want to factor that in ) :rollno:

7. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland

It was just a suggestion. :bag: He could at least inquire.

Otherwise I cant think of anything else the OP can do.... except force himself to like TI's. Can you.. ?

8. riker1384

riker1384

Jan 2, 2007
    Just make sure he doesn't want you to send him a check for $10,000 so that he can ship over an estate of 12.5 million Jazz Flats left by a prince who was killed by rebels.

9. BassBod

BassBod

Aug 18, 2006
    Bristol, UK
    I'd suggest living with them for a month or so...let them break in. I have always found I need to tweak the truss rod/action to compensate for the floppy feel, and then I can enjoy the feel and the sound much more.

And yes...I sent my money off..but the cheque hasn't cleared yet

10. "I also play upright so I already have a flat wound Jazz sound with that and don't really need it for my electric bass."

I think you answered this post yourself.
    To me it sounds more like a pickup problem. Have you tried to lower the bridge pickup? That should cure any harsh sounds. Or raising the action at the bridge will tighten up any low tension strings.

11. spong

spong

Nov 20, 2006
    Ashburn Virginia
    Thanks guys. I took them off and split my last Carvin 5 string set to replace them :(

I never got into my old Carvin but I really like their strings - cheap too.

As for the TI's I might save them for when/if I buy another bass. There are lots of Old beaten up fender basses over here that will probably be a lot cheaper than buying a vintage fender in the US.