Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thornton School of Music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sheep Man, Dec 24, 2002.

1. I'm curious, to those of you looking to/currently study/studying music in college, how high on your list is USC's Thornton School of Music?

So far I've gone to see my roommate's big band, another friend's big band, and another friend's combo play and they're all pretty bloody amazing musicians. I know one jazz studies major in bass, and he's a very, very good to say the least.

So yeah, I was just wondering about the level at which USC is considered amongst musicians.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't know anything about this particularly; but there have been lots of thread about music schools in general, previously.

The thing I remember as coming up a lot, is the idea that the people who come out of music schools as great musicians - also went into music schools as great musicians.

What I have heard around here, is that they are not necessarily good places to improve as a musician, but they're great for making contacts! ;)

3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    nah its a party music school...jk

dunno i go to a pretty respected music school so its hard to say, id rank it pretty low on the list, dependin on what u want to do with it though. the guitarist from my old band goes to USC but not for music. He said its alright the jazz guitarists are pretty good there. IF you want to do jazz bass research it well, i didnt and i ended up in a a situation i wasnt happy with. I ended up playing upright bass in a very hard music school having no prior experience in upright. Sure i got pretty damn good pretty fast for a beginner and learned a ton, but didnt really enjoy myself. Just look into it, not many programs are geared toward electric bass. Have a meeting with the teacher and talk to some of the students. Last word of advice, if your thinking about music school chalk up on your theory, its damn tough.

4. Actually, I wasn't asking because I was looking to join the music program, I was just wondering where it stands in terms of music schools and how...prestigious it is, or something like that.