Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thoroughly Amazed by Technology

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by natrab, Aug 6, 2005.

1. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Here's the deal. I just got my new Nokia 6822 yesterday, and I'm at work right now. I work 24 hour shifts (I'm on a 60 hour shift right now) in a little place known as Prunedale, CA (just north of Salinas, east of Monterey). It is RURAL here. My dial-up speed is about 14k/s when going through the phone line.

I am, however browsing at 115k/s right now, through my phone, on the Cingular GPRS/Edge network. The phone is sitting in its holster on my belt (thanks to Bluetooth). It is not quite DSL, but it is a world of difference from dial-up. It takes a couple of seconds for a page to load, even with images. I just got a new $2500 laptop, and between that and my phone, my mind is blown. I know this sounds like an ad, but it's not. I'm just sitting here marvelling at how I'm connected to the internet.

I'm a technology guy, and I'm used to being surrounded by all these gadgets. Once and a while though, something like this makes me sit back in awe of the amazing things we've invented. Anyone else have any experiences like this?

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I did...when we first got our digital camera (a Sony PSC-10 Cybershot) and I realized the world of difference it made over any standard camera I'd used previously (I rarely took pictures because of the cost and inaccuracy). The fact that I could take as many pictures as I wanted and only keep what I wanted made all the difference. It made most of my other camera stuff obsolete.

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    +1, but I wasn't completely blown away till' I bought some batt's that you can charge...(NiMH).

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Careful with those- they have a secret....

5. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    My latest camera has a Lithium-Ion rechargable. Lasts quite a while.

6. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    i busted of half my key in my ignition and i can still start it since the busted key part is stuck in there. So now in winter i can start my car and pull the key out and lock the doors so it won't be so easy to steal. and i thought it was soooooo great and everyone's like meh i got command start.

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Aren't the cellular data charges going to eat you alive?

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    aw, hell, what secret?

9. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    It's $40 a month for unlimited. Well worth it for me. Plus call waiting still works, so it lets you know if someone's calling while you're online.

10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

...don't experiment on making rats intelligent...

:ninja:

11. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    That's not bad at all!

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    ah, a flick...

:D

13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...y'know, for a messy-can, you pick things up pretty quick...

:D

14. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    well, we have too, we're always on the run...

:eek:

15. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Damn I hope they would get the unlimited GPRS for consumers around here too. For some reason, the bright guys at the phone companies think that only businesses have use for them and consumers are better to pay per megabyte.

Well, at least the Wifi spots are growing.

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Very cool Nate. Now you need to set it up on a PDA. Then, you'll really be stylin'!!

-Mike

17. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I've got it on my PDA too. Bad news is, they messed up when I switched to unlimited. Turns out it's $74 a month for unlimited GPRS. The $40 a month is only for PDA phones.

I still get a 16% discount on my account from my work, so my final bill comes in around $90 a month (with the Nation 450 plan).

18. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Now it's back to super good news. Turns out the $74 a month is only for PDA phones as well.

They hooked me up with unlimited MediaNET, which is only $20 a month. Now I can connect unlimited through my phone for that price. WAHOO

19. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Wow, that's cool. I just got a laptop for $1150 that's got a wireless NIC built in, lasts 3.5 hours on the battery with EVERYTHING running on max, 1.7GHz P4 w/ Centrino technology, 14" ultra bright screen with Harman/Kardon speakers, DVD/CD Burner, 100GB HD, 512 MG RAM, and frankly, I remember when my dad paid half this for a 100 MEGABYTE Hard Drive

My First CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive cost $390. My 15" LCD Monitor was $450. And 40GB Hard Drives used to be $200. Technology ALWAYS amazes me.