Those are some pretty cool fenders

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 74rickbass, Jan 19, 2003.

1. What do you think of those high end looking fender on the NAMM page. I can't remember whose page it is.

here's a pic of the basses (there on the left)
  2. Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Hey, those do look nice! I especially like the second one from the left with the maple fretboard rawr!
  3. aleyman

aleyman Guest

Nov 1, 2002
    I like that headstock. But it dosn't seem like a fender. I still like it though.
  4. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Do I see a 6-string Fender?! Finally! Too bad they didn't give it a more traditional design, they should've kept it a bit more jazz-like, IMO.
  5. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001

Wow I believe you are right.. I didn't notice the 6-strings at first glance.. Now thats something I didn't expect to see anytime soon. I kinda like it
  6. Cool pics. Raises more questions though.

Sup w/ the preamp module at the brubaker basses booth I wonder?

What's the name of the fender line? Pricing? I'm not interested, but it never hurts to be informed.

Musicman bongo is @#$@#$ cool. If you've ever designed anything, you'll realise that doing what others expect reallllly sucks usually. Remember when the mid 90's dodge rams came out? Love and hate. Look now. Obviously 2 MM HB's on the 5, and J/MM on the 4...but what's the electronics? Love the clash between the rounded lower body and that nontangent 160 degree donut that makes the horns up. Really cool, Headstock looks like a mixture between a bottle opener and an ice cream scoop. Kudos.
  7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The preamps are modular to allow for quick swapping. You can go from a Bart 3 band to Aggie OBP-3 to whatever almost instantly.
  8. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Well, according to Dude, they're from the Custom Shop, and that aint cheap. *sigh*
  9. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I really dig the Fenders! The Fodera with the p/g was cool too. What did you think of the Smith Jazz basses?
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey, at least they're trying. I would have liked a more traditional color, but hey, at least they're getting with it.
  11. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I liked the Smiths. With some natural colors, and maybe maple boards, I'll bet they'll kick ass!
  12. IMO the stripy laminated headstock looks ugly on the 6string.

the 5string black Pbass with EMG's looks interesting.
  13. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Did they make only 2 Reggie Hamilton sigs? Those are the only two I've seen since they introduced them.
  14. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    I would like to try that Ken Smith jazz 5 string, or the Fender six!
  15. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I like the 5 string fretless! Are those pictures real?
  16. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i spoke with a fender rep about the custom shop basses.

they aren't made by fender, and they are BUILD TO ORDER only.

they don't like calling them "ONE-OFFS" anymore, probably because that leads the connection away from the Fender sticker.

they played well, but didn't blend well into the product line in my opinion.

smells like a quick dash to fill a market niche.

which is fine, everyone's doing it these days...both up AND down.

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

While they look pretty nice, it looks as if the Custom Shop guys built a Fodera shaped like a Fender.

I wonder how much they cost? I'm guessing Fodera money, for the six.